Processor Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Loin

A long time ago I posted a question about a noisy fan, I still haven't gotten over that, I was wondering if I can swap the processors from the computer with a noisy fan, and an OLD computer of mine. I want to do this because the mother board of the old computer has more slots for extra RAM, and a a slot for an AGP video card which makes room from one extra PCI slot. Here is where my questions are, (1) Would it be bad to switch to a mother board that is like 3 years older? (2) Is it possible to take the processor out to swap?

Thanks,
Sir Loin

The processor from the old computer is a 700 Mhz Intel Celoron and the other is a 1.24 Ghz AMD Duron. The mother board from the old machine is an AOpen Mx34. The other is a Gigahertz GA 8vkmLs.

amd and intel have different sockets. if it were a pentium and celeron , then you could've done it (except in small cases , where the mobo doesn't support the processor speed ) but with amd the only thing you can switch is the fan and put it on the other machine's processor to cool it down.

Buy a new replacement fan for that noisy one, or get a whole new cooler/fan combination. You are talking small money, like $10-20 max.

Can I just swap the two MoBo's? Would that be possible? I would lose a couple power plugs and an room for an other CD/DVD drive, but it would be cooler inside. Some one told me that it sometime not possible to swap MoBo's because they won't fit correctly or something, is that true??

Thanks,
Sir Loin

Swapping a motherboard is a very nasty thing to do to Windows, but it works in most cases.

You have to uninstall all motherboard specific devices in Device Manager before you power down the last time before swapping. Then you swap the motherboards and beg that Windows doesn't bluescreen when you turn the computer on. If it does then you have to do a repair install of Windows to make it run.

everytime windows boots, 2000 or higher, it uses POST to confirm hardware and that its working right. It will update the database with ur new mobo and work just fine. I have never heard of any problems with windows when you swap mobos.

Windows will happily bluescreen when you have an IDE controller mismatch for example. It will never get around to loading the files needed to regeister new hardware.

Swapping motherboards on NT, 2000, XP or 2003 will most assurdely fail and result in you having to do a repair install if the motherboard chipsets (most especially the south bridge) are not the same.

eh, i have never heard of this. I have switched out harddrives with WIN2000+ many of times, and no problems. You guys have to be doing something wrong. Either that or im taking the question in a wrong perspective?

linuxcorex said:
eh, i have never heard of this. I have switched out harddrives with WIN2000+ many of times, and no problems. You guys have to be doing something wrong. Either that or im taking the question in a wrong perspective?

I am not doing "something wrong".

Take a hard drive with Windows 2000 install on a VIA chipset. Move it over to a system with an AMD chipset. BAM. No work. You CANNOT switch hard drives on NT unless the chipsets are similair enough to support the same instructions.

nope, I never had a problem. Infact I recently (2 weeks ago) swapped a drive with winxp on it from a HP Pentium4 (dont know the mobo/chipset) to a custom AMD64. First time I booted it, ran perfect. Loaded the drivers and were all set.

You may have had good luck but the stone cold truth is that it is not only unsupported and not reccommended, but MIcrosoft themselves state that it can easily result in a machine being rendered unbootable. I build anywhere from 40 to 300 computers a month, repair anywhere from 20 to 60, and I've been able to swap HD on machines with different chipsets maybe 1 out of every 10 repairs I come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back