Producton on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxy High

Hello.

Im thinking of installing Linux and ditching XP.
Thing is though, I use a lot of M$ compatible software that isn't supported on Linux. Plus I dont want to stop using it (It took me a long time to figure out how to use it, effectively)

I know there is software available that lets you, whats the word; emulate, I suppose, some M$ compatible software but I dont want to cut the performance of my computer just to run it.

What I really want to know is... which version of Linux should I get?
I've downloaded SOT and Libranet but havent a clue which one to install if any.

The programs I use are...

Proppellerhead Reason v3 and ReCycle
Evolution MIDI (an old 3.1 MIDI sequencing program)
Stienberg Cubase
Pinnacle Studio
SWiSHmax
DVD Menu Studio and
Nero Suite

Thanx for looking,
Sam

I can give you my .02. I installed Ubuntu and after reading through the forums found that there is are equal programs in Linux for many XP programs but they are harder to use and I couldn't get some of them to work. Linux, to me is much harder to use and after a while I just got frustrated and went back to XP. But if you are good with Linux and have patience, then I'm sure you could find that it will suite your needs.

Galaxy High said:
Hello.

Im thinking of installing Linux and ditching XP.
Thing is though, I use a lot of M$ compatible software that isn't supported on Linux. Plus I dont want to stop using it (It took me a long time to figure out how to use it, effectively)

I know there is software available that lets you, whats the word; emulate, I suppose, some M$ compatible software but I dont want to cut the performance of my computer just to run it.

What I really want to know is... which version of Linux should I get?
I've downloaded SOT and Libranet but havent a clue which one to install if any.

The programs I use are...

Proppellerhead Reason v3 and ReCycle
Evolution MIDI (an old 3.1 MIDI sequencing program)
Stienberg Cubase
Pinnacle Studio
SWiSHmax
DVD Menu Studio and
Nero Suite

Thanx for looking,
Sam

I would recommend fedore core 5 for me it was the easyest to use also mandriva is pretty good. but like he said its alot harder to use then windows. and chances are you wouldn't be able to run all of those in linux. The support for windows applications isn't to bad but its not amazing it still has a long way to go and like you said you loss performance. I still run both xp and linux but i use linux alot more then windows.

Thanx for the quick replys.

I think I'll do a dual boot. At least then I can revert back to XP if needed.

Cheers,
Sam

PS is it true that Linux does not suport DVD? What about burning to DVD or would Linux make that obsolete?

Galaxy High said:
Thanx for the quick replys.

I think I'll do a dual boot. At least then I can revert back to XP if needed.

Cheers,
Sam

PS is it true that Linux does not suport DVD? What about burning to DVD or would Linux make that obsolete?
yes you can burn DVD's or play DVD's on linux although i have few movies i had trouble with and couldn't figure out how to play on windows and ran into the same proublem with linux

another view?

just because some flavor-of-the-day OS is all over the news and boards like this
does not mean that moving to it is the right choice for you.

Each OS has benefits that are not necessarily found elsewhere.
Macintosh is well known to be the leader in graphics and desktop publishing.
Midi and music is another area in which it excels. Windows is known for
commercial applications for client desktops (eg email, office suite).
Linux is a leader in server systems.

Your application list does not fit the client-server model and I would suggest
you may be finding great frustration in trying to migrate.

there's nothing wrong with staying with what you know and some should
beware: if it isn't broken, then don't fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back