Program to match and merge files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

Is there a free program out there that will search my computer for duplicate files of the same name and merge them or ask me if I want to delete one or the other of them?

Total Commander match duplicates and merge

Total Commander matches files and give a nice neat list. I'd try a small folder example though. Duplicate file finders like Duplicate FREE Edition can give you a sample of how confusing it is to read those. Total Commander has a forum, so you can ask them about the merge. I used it yesterday, but I didn't merge; they do have 'arrow right' so I guess that is merge, too. TC uses plug-ins, is free, and you register, if you want to. Try SyncbackSE, 2brightsparks.com, for the MD5 hash so you won't have to guess the search, although TC has a plug-in for that too. Let me know if this works; I can't do it because my computer is unstable from a virus.

Total Commander Dups

I found a compare files listing in Total Commander. It gave me an error. Please terminate program Lister (.wlx). My lister add plug-ins is blank though. It also said missing dll's.

the filenames were different "capture.bin" and "install.exe" in the root directory. It pulled up 1 file difference in Kerio firewall.

Try Directory Report
www dot file-utilities dot com/downloads/wdir.zip

It can find duplicate files based on the same name, size, CRC and/or comparing byte by byte

If can compare and synchronize two directories
Is this what you mean by merge?

It can generate reports to a printer and to files
It has many options so you can customize it the way you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back