Progression of computer components over a period of time

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

Hey guys, I guess I'm back somehow. I've been missing in action from the computer scene for a good deal of time now.

I'm thinking about getting a job at Fry's, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. but in the computer department.

I went MIA from the computer scene around when we started getting the AMD 64 3200+ or so, and when the Radeon XT's started coming out.

So what I'm trying to find out is what new technologies have been introduced since then? What are the newer and hotter video cards, mobos, processors, and even audio devices out on the market and perhaps which are better performing if at all (not benchmarks but for example a P4 > Celeron)?

I see all these new video cards and processors and it just makes my head spin.

If anyone could just list what's come out since then and the new cards out and any new technology that'd be very sweet, I'd appreciate it.

Appologizies if in the wrong forum, I tried to fit it best.

i cant believe i dissed Intels

Well first off, i guess i should introduce myself...so hello

I think some technologies that are big now...

SLi-Nivida dual card tech (think PCI express) ..and ATI's answer to it (crossfire?)
Dual Core CPUS (plus the fact that the prescott core is terrible)
SATA drives (3g is the newest that is)

and o yea..blue neon lights..just kidding

sean

Thanks for your input. So by SATA drives you mean they finnally came out with SATA2? Is it pretty mainstream yet?

Dual Core CPUs, wow, what are the names of them and are they practical?

Yea I heard about the dual video cards via PCI-Express, but does Crossfire use dual video cards as well (same principle)?

Thanks for input.

XtR-X said:
Thanks for your input. So by SATA drives you mean they finnally came out with SATA2? Is it pretty mainstream yet?

Dual Core CPUs, wow, what are the names of them and are they practical?

Yea I heard about the dual video cards via PCI-Express, but does Crossfire use dual video cards as well (same principle)?

Thanks for input.

1. SATA 2 was sort of passed up. There was no "speed" increase, just a list of add on features, like NCQ. Now SATA 3g, is out and it does add more bandwith (300 MBps) not that nay hard drive can utilize that.

2. Well as far as dual cores go, you got your Pentium D (8xx) and Athalon X2s.They are pretty new, but not many apllication (espically not games) can take advantage of them yet, but when they do, im sure i will get one :)

3. This is what i know about crossfire. It is not the same as SLi. First off, you can have a regualr ATI card, (say a generic x800) and combine that with a crossfire x850. That way you do not have to buy two of the exact same card. (like with SLi) now take into account that the system is only as strong as your weakest card. Put a x800 pro, with a x850PE and the x850 will reduce its memory and pipes to match the x800. Another difference, is the way the card render. One card is assigned the top half of the screen, and the other takes the bottom half (im not sure how cards render in SLI)

Hope this brings ya up to speed

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back