Promise Fasttrak 378 w/ Raid 0 Sata prob.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, first post here - I've scoured the net looking for a solution to my problem, but haven't found anything!

mobo: Asus k8v Se Deluxe
2 Seagate 160 gb Sata 1
1 Seagate 75 gb Sata 1

I'm running Winxp off of the 75, which is on a separate controller from the 2 Seagate 160s I'm trying to put in to a Raid 0 array on the Promise Fasttrack 378 Controller.

Here's the problem:
I can get the bios to recognize that there's 2 drives on the Promise controller. I set them to a Raid 0 array. I go in to Windows, but in the drive list, it only lists ONE massive 300ish gb drive. I don't think that's right... There appears to be no hardware malfunctions or driver errors in the hardware list. I'm totally stumped.. Windows simply doesn't show the drive until I format it using the disk manager, and then it only shows one massive drive (should show one 160 gb drive)... Any help would be really appreciated, I'm totally confused.

2 x 160 Gb drives in Raid 0 = 1 x 320 Gb drive to the computer.

That is Raid 0.

If you want Raid 1, check your manual again. Seems you didn't input right.

:)

Nope!............

edit: the 'higher transfer rate' is actually a product of the fact that two hard drive heads are searching for data bits at almost the same time rather than 1.

Actual improvements in speed are usually small - with 10k+ hard drives Raid 0 does benchmark faster at SOME duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back