PS2 Keyboard port not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
This computer has XP pro, Asus P5WD2 motherboard, Amibios v0709. A while back when I built this computer I had a PS/2 keyboard. While using that keyboard I thought it would be nice to use a KVM switch so I could plug in a Slackware box I also have. Everything worked great. When I decided not to use the 2nd box I unplugged the KVM and at one point I bought a USB keyboard. After using this USB keyboard I decided to start using the KVM switch again. Now my PC won't recognize the PS/2 keyboard. I checked in the Bios and found nothing for the enabling a PS/2 keyboard. In fact I cant even get into the bios with a PS/2 keyboard. Only the USB keyboard is recognized. I've updated the bios, disabled quick boot, and even tried using bios default settings...still nothing. I know if I reformat and reinstall the operating system I can get the PS/2 plug to work but I don't want to go thru that hassle. Has anyone seen a problem like this?

Ehm.. If the thing doesn't work in BIOS, then no formatting is going to change that, ever.

Did you try the keyboard directly in the PS/2 port, without the KVM in between?

yes, doesnt work without kvm either. I suppose it could be a bad plug on the motherboard but I just dont feel thats it. Motherboard isnt that old and PS/2 keyboard was hardly used.

Just to eliminate one thing or another, can you try this keyboard in another PC or another known good PS/2 keyboard in this one?

keyboard is working.......actually its a USB keyboard with a PS/2 adapter so i can run it thru the KVM....I sent an email to Asus to see if they know whats going on. Seem's I read someone having the same problem somewhere but I cant find that post. I could just buy a USB KVM which wouldnt be a problem but I still want to know what i dont know :).

So this keyboard works using its USB connector but not with the PS/2 adapter? Could the PS/2 adapter be bad? Are all the pins intact, none bent?

Well dont I feel like the *****. I checked the adapter and it did have a different pin set up in that there are pins in one that were not in the one I was using. I cant tell if they broke off or were never there. Anyway I changed the adapter to the usb keyboard and it still did not work. However after rummaging through my garage I found an old PS/2 (only) keyboard and sure enough it worked with that. It could very well be that both usb to ps/2 adapters that I have are not working, either that or there is a difference between a PS/2 (only) keyboard and a USB keyboard with a PS/2 adapter attached. Either way Thanks for the any consideration

Not all USB keyboards work with PS/2 adapters. There is no magical conversion device - the electronics inside the keyboard have to detect whether it is connected to USB or PS/2 and adjust the protocol accordingly. Same goes for mice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back