ps3- 7 processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilmog

Hey, lately ive been hearing about the ps3 having 7 4.2 ghz processors. maybe im being noobie and missunderstood something about the 7 processors, but anyways, is this true?

No way is it gonna have 7 processors, it wouldn't need anywhere near that much and would require a rediculous amount of power.

Actually I believe I was mistaken :eek:. In this newsletter, it states that there will be a "cell processor" in the PS3 and says there will be 7x of some specs. The specs are at the bottom and if your interested, the articles are actually a pretty nice read.

can you send me a link directly to the article about the ps3? because i cant find it on the page you gave me :suspiciou ... theres only preiviews of games. thx.

thx, i actually found it this time. :p lol. but i still dont really understand what a cell processor is. could anybody tell me? thx

The xbox 360 has 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each which i think is more powerful than the ps3's Cell Processor Base core @ 4.0 Ghz

The Cell processor was co-designed by IBM, Toshiba and Sony. Configurations can differ, but here's what the PS3's Cell chip will be like:
# PowerPC-based Core @ 3.2GHz
# 7 SPEs @ 3.2GHz
# 512KB L2 Cache
# 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPEs

Basically, a single Cell processor is designed to act like multiple processors working together, or even independently. A Cell processor has a single PowerPC Architecture Unit (PAU) and multiple Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). A Cell's PAU dolls out instructions to its various SPEs, which can then independently work on tasks. So for instance, one SPU might be programmed to run a game's AI while another handles physics. Since each one acts independently, multiple calculations can be done simultaneously. It's powerful enough to perform 218 GFLOPS.

Ofcourse all these cores will be hell for the programmers to write code for and fully utilize its capabilities for a long time to come such is the case with the emotion processor (ps2) as well. In the end it all depends on how good the games are but many developers are already worried about programming for all three power pc multi core based consoles (i believe the next nintendo is also power pc) which is the reason why many speculate that game prices will go up for the next gen.

BringinHeat said:
It's powerful enough to perform 218 GFLOPS.

Thats crazy fast if you look at that compared to present day CPUs. But i have heard some bad things about the design and stbility of the chip. I think it will be hit or miss, but right now it seems to be going twoard the miss.

My 2 cents

Sean

FLOP is not a real measurement unit, it is just a way to get big numbers to be thrown out to people whose religion happens to be big numbers (*cough* fanboys *cough*).

The fact that the Cell can do something at that speed does not mean that "something" is anything useful nor that such workload can be achieved in real life.

Nodsu said:
The fact that the Cell can do something at that speed does not mean that "something" is anything useful nor that such workload can be achieved in real life.

A very good way of putting it, I see your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back