Not open for further replies.
Just put a system together...
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
E6600 Conroe
Kingwin 600 watt mach 1
ATI X1650 pro
OCZ memory 2 gigs
Rosewill CPU heatsink

I was originally told by my dads friend (im staying at his house) that the outlets in my room were 230V. I was having problems with the motherboard posting. at first I thought it was the motherboard itsself, so i took it into a computer tech and he said the mobo was bad. I replaced the mobo, mind you, still thinking the outlets were 230's, and tried the other one and the same thing. NOW, i have been informed that the outlets are only 115V. I took out the battery on the mobo, reset the cmos, reseated the memory, disconnected everything from the PSU and plugged it all back in. THEN i set the PSU to 115 before I powered it on. The fans power on, mobo light come on, hard drive spins, cd drive works, everything works great except the mobo still wont post. (monitor has been tested and works too)

my question is, would having the PSU set to 230 instead of 115 ruin anything else besides the Power supply itself? like the mobo or conroe? if not then it would be the PSU i would need to replace in order to get my mobo to post correct?

Everything in the electrical chain that was on or non-switchable could have been damaged... as the excess power quickly burns out the built in protection circuits, and otherwise just travels down all other circuits. Is suspect the fans, hard drive, and cd drive were not-damaged because they were not on.
There are 254 circuits and devices on that motherboard. Damage to any one of them might have been the one that stopped the board.
Return the board for replacement as it still might be a defective board. They will run their own tests to detect for destruction of components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back