PSU died. Now PC Wont Start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrzero

Heres what happened -

about 1 week ago my Power Supply Unit(PSU) started making a grinding noise... I ignored it planning on getting a new PSU as soon as i could. I wasn't having any problems except for having to always turn the pc on twice before it would boot up properly.

Today i turned the PC off and then tried turning it on again a few hours later but nothing shoes up on the screen. There are a few clicks coming from the hard drive as soon as i turn the power on which didn't used to happen. Everything else sounds like it is working properly, But its hard to tell what is happening without being able to see anything on the screen. The PSU is still grinding. It is a 500W.

I tried using my old PSU which is only 250W and the exact same thing is happening.(apart from the grinding noise because my old PSU is fine!)

I am going to pick up a new PSU tomorrow and try that. Anyone know why this is happening? Could my dodgy PSU have messed with something ?

Any help would be grately appreciated!

If you have not heard "this" clicking before, and it's coming from your hard disk, you could very possibly have a damaged drive. This would account for the 'no picture'. Yes...your 'dodgy PSU' could have ruined your hard drive. Hope for the best. Put in that PSU and watch it boot up. It's all good.

PSUs do not make grinding noises. That is the hallmark sound of a failing hard drive. PSUs can make bearing rattle when their fans fail but it is very loud and will happen all the time.. DO NOT put an underpowered PSU in your system. Also read the guides: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic55506.html that is what they are there for.

Well, i got my new PSU today. A lot better quality then the previous one and everything seems to be running okay. .... time to backup again though, just in case.

Thanks guys.

Motherboard Now Dead!

Hey, okay so i used the pc fine for about a week. Then when i tried starting it this morning it wouldn't start and the clicking noise was back. So after some messing around i figured out that it was the Motherboard making the clicking noise...

Anyone know what causes this and if it can be fixed or if i just need to get a new one... its a gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G

Thanks!

Its not your PSU or your motherboard. It is your hard drive. Whats more (assuming your mobo doesn't have a fan on the chipset) it has NO MOVING PARTS so I find it hard to believe its making noises. Get a new HDD before you loose everything.

Its actually the 7950GT

Okay so i have found the part that is making this 'clicking' noise.

It is the graphics card. I have a 7950GT and i have a feeling the old dodgy psu damaged it.

This is what happens - i turn on computer. The 7950GT makes 16 clicks, then the computer loads and i have to use the motherboards graphics to see anything on the screen. The clicks sound like a light switching on then off.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

ok no offence but you havent really been listening to people. But if your convinced it is the graphics card try an alternate card to see if the noise is gone. If it is your card will need to be fixed or replaced. Otherwise test your hard drive!

jonnyrzero said:
Hey, okay so i used the pc fine for about a week. Then when i tried starting it this morning it wouldn't start and the clicking noise was back. So after some messing around i figured out that it was the Motherboard making the clicking noise...

Anyone know what causes this and if it can be fixed or if i just need to get a new one... its a gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G

Thanks!
did you read?

"PSUs do not make grinding noises. That is the hallmark sound of a failing hard drive. PSUs can make bearing rattle when their fans fail but it is very loud and will happen all the time."

Problem Solved

It was the motherboard . I tried another graphics card and the same thing happened. The mobo wasn't reading the graphics card, and making that damn clicking noise. So i got a new mobo and now everything is sweet!

when a mobo can't "read" a graphics card it makes a clicking noise?!?!

(watch him come back with a failed hard drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back