PSU gone up in smelliness

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Hey,
This problem isn't mine, but my brothers.
HE just brought a new PC, custom built, when, while loading a game (Americas Army) it crash, gone, and it wouldn't start again, when pressing the power buttom got absolutely nothing. No fan spin, no HDD led light, nothing. The area around the PSU was very hot, and there was a burning/melting smell. This computer is all of 4 hours old at the time of this post, and I am posting this 2 hours after the crash.
I know you guys love to chat about PSU's so what I need is, Is it the PSU?
How did it happen? and What brand should I buy?
cheers
hynesy

Yes, it`s the psu that`s burned out. Hopefully, it won`t have taken any other components with it.

Psu`s by Enermax/Antec/Fortron fsp are all very good.

Take a look at this psu wattage calculator. and see what wattage psu you need, add a further 30% for upgrades/headroom etc.

You might also want to read this excellent article on psu`s. It will show you which psu`s to avoid and which are good.

Regards Howard :)

Thanks howard, your a champ. anyway, he is looking into getting a 500W antec to replace his burnt out 400w generic brand PSU. the PSU calculator came up at 389w at 95% psu usage, oviously thats the kind on strain shown during a game, so I am guessing generic strikes again.
cheers
hynesy:wave:
PS How about that for rotten luck, 2 hours before your first crash

Yes it is rotten luck. I just hope as I said earlier, that no other components have been damaged when the psu failed.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back