Psu issues with upgrading my graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi im pretty new to computers but im willing to learn. i have a dell dimension e520 the power supply is 305 wat im putting in a geforce 8600 gt oc it requires 325 wat, the problem is that I herd that dell isnt compatible with any other psu other than the ones you order from them, is this true? and if not what psu are compatible with the e520?

Im still learning like you, but im pretty sure you can buy a psu from most third party psu developers like antec, cosair, rosewill, etc. I upgraded my dimension e510(almost identical to your comp i had a 305watt psu) and bought a cosair psu and it fits just fine. I wouldn't worry too much about if they will fit or not. What you should focus on is if the certain psus you are looking at have enough amperage in their rail/rails and if the psu meets the total power output of your computer plus a 30% cushion to be safe.

most DELLs use proprietary PSUs. Although the connectors are the SAME, the voltage and pinouts are different. Using a non-dell PSU can burn out your system. Other DELLs use standard PSUs. If you're lucky, read the manual first or check it out BEFORE plugging in and installing the wrong type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back