PSU, Motherboard or Graphics card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am trying to get a home built PC up and running.
It has the following specs;
- ECS KV Lite 939 Motherboard
- AMD Athlon 64 4000+ CPU
- 320GB SATA hard Drive
- 2 GB DDR400 PC3200 RAM
- 256MB ATI X1300 AGP Graphics Card.

I know the SATA drive, graphics card and RAM work perfectly as I am using it in my current set up (754 Socket, AMD Athlon 64 3000+).

When I put everything together using the 939 socket board and the 4000+ CPU then it all goes Pete Tong. basically it sounds like it is booting up - fans work etc but I get no picture on the screen, it is completely blank and the monitor comes up with a "no signal" message.

I was thinking that it is possibly the PSU. I have three altogether. I only have a 250w PSU in the machine I'm currently using. It is a micro ATX case.
When I try using my current setup in my other standard ATX case with either the 350w or 450w PSU it doesn't work. Put it all back in the micro ATX case with the 250w PSU and everything works.
I can't use the Micro ATX case with the 939 mobo as the mobo is too big. I tried taking the 250w PSU out of the micro ATX case and putting it in the standard ATX case with the 939 & 4000+ setup and nothing worked at all, no CPU fan or lights came on. Just the PSU fan was turning (possiby not enough power to start it?).

Before I splash out on a new PSU, any ideas of what my problem could be? I don't believe the motherboard to be faulty. I was thinking graphics card, but it works in this PC (although I did have problems to begin with, getting black screen and "mode not supported" message. Resolved this by downloading new drivers and fiddling with the bios). The 939 motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics like my 754 board which is shame incase I need to fiddle with the BIOS again to get it to work.

Both the 350w and 450w PSUs showed no signs of failure when I used them previously (no bangs or burning smells like I thought you were supposed to get when one failed).

I've hit a blank wall in trying to think through what the problem could be and my only idea left is to get another PSU. Any help would be appreciated.

read the "NO post" guide in the guides forum.
ensure your case can fit a PSU of adequate size. Do not try to use an underpowered PSU on a new system - you can fry stuff.
The PSU is perhaps one of the most important components in a new system.

Hello, I've finally resolved my issue. It appears to have been the case. I got a 600w PSU and had no luck. So I got a second hand motherboard from ebay thinking that it was that. Set everything up in my case and no joy. For some reason I decided to dig out a really old case and low and behold everything worked. I can only assume that one or all of the "HDD LED", "Power Switch", and "Reset Switch" connectors attached to that case is not working properly. Is that possible?

Since I now have two working motherboards which one is the better one to use? The ECS KV2 Lite or the MSI K8T Neo2-F? I currently have the MSI board set up.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back