PSU problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krnj0e

I'm a newbie so I'm sorry if i sound like an ***** but recently my computer just shut down while I was using it and wouldn't turn back on. I managed to find out that it was because my PSU was fried (opened it up and saw some of the wires were fried) so I got a nice replacement with more watts, but when I turn it on it will jsut sit there and keep beeping, further more the moniter does not turn on and the keyboard and mouse don't seem to be working either (optical mouse light and keyboard lights don't come on). Nothing else seems to be fried and I'm too poor a college student to afford a diagnostic or jsut buy parts to get it to work. I don't know what is wrong with it and was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what it may be, any help is much appreciated.

i custom built it about 1-2 years ago and I'm not entirely sure what i put in it but i think its along the lines of

AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.0g
1g ddr ram
Radeon 9800 pro
some sata HD
some CDRW
i think my MOBO is MSI k8t neo

same thing happens, i also jsut noticed that when I switch the thingy on the PSU to 230v it beeps once followed by 8 fast beeps, but when i switch it on the 115 one it just sits there silently with the fans running, dunno if that means anything but thought id post it

changing the voltage settings on a PSU is a sure way to burn out your system if your input voltage is different from the mains.

If your old PSU failed, it is a possibility the motherboard went too. Cheap PSUs do not have adequete or no protection circuits.

well i only switched the voltage now once jsut to see what would happen i never needed to touch it before, also is there a way to check if my motherboard is actually fried or do i just gotta buy a new one and hope it works? by the way i want to thank all you guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back