PSU replacement in a sony desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, every one
I'm looking for a replacement of the original PSU in my Sony PCV-RS302 (because i need it if I want to change my video card)
Sony technical support threw me away....

I seek on this forum for info (it seems that only one user have this case and I don't find any solution).

:confused:

It could be just a standard ATX (or some less known form factor) PSU which you can replace with anything off a computer shop..
If not, then you're out of luck really.

They are not standard axt at all, they are wired completely differently so that sony can make more money out of you.
Its possible however to re-wire a standard atx to work on a sony but it means stripping the standard atx apart and soldering the sony mobo connector and wiring into the psu.

To be honest, sony vaio's are seriously crap and your best bet would be to replace the vaio with a proper pc that wont break down every few days.

Sony may make some of the better stereo and tv equipment, but they have a lot to learn about building pc's.

Thanks for answering so quickly. the PSU is not a standard because it's smaller than a atx one. Sor my only one option is too add external PSU, maybe you can suggest me some reliable model?

Sorry, i don't understand what is a mobo connector? (i'm french)

Rix: my vaio never let me down in 3 years, the fan are noiseless as a Mac. But I agree with the fact that: having a computer you can't upgrade is just having a playstation!!!

:D

Mobo is short for motherboard. The mobo connector is the thing that connects the power supply to the mobo.

You are very lucky that it has lasted so long, many of them don't. I agree its like having a playstation but for one thing, playstations last a lot longer.

You will not find a power supply that will have the same connections as the one thats in the pc without spending way too much money.

The only way to do it is to re-wire a standard power supply or make up an adapter cable, both are not easy to do tho!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back