PSU wires causing trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stick'o ram

My 2nd computer recentaly stopped booting up as of late, the fans would spin for a seconed then shut down. Fearing the worst I removed all hardware (video card, ram, etc...) It still did the same thing. However I noticed that whenever I squezzed the wires going into the board, right before they got to the plug (20 pin connector) the computer would start to boot. When I used another power supply the motherboard booted up like regular. My question is, is their a way to fix the PSU i'm not in a good postion to buy another.

Thanks

Don't be too sure that this a PSU problem. I had this same symptom on a little HP and when I wiggled the 20/24 pin input at the board it would boot. Then it wouldn't boot until I did it again. I tried another PSU and it worked for quite awhile. Then it wouldn't boot one day and after I wiggled the wires etc., it booted again. The 2nd PSU (seemed) to fix the problem until that one needed to be wiggled also. In other words, the problem could be at the socket on the board, not the power supply.

Is their a way to check if its the boards connector thats causing the problem. I looked and all the pins are straight and none are pushed in, underneath their was no scaring or anything that might have looked like it got burnt.

it sounds like the socket on the motherboard is a bit loose - see if you can push the cable in firmly then i'd put some tape round it to hold it in ;)

I've tried pushing firmly on the connector it dosen't seem to make a diffrence. When I do squezze the wire though it will only come on for a seconed then go right back off again. Like something is barely touching then losing connection.

thanks

I also have a 250 watt powersupply, but it doesn't have a 12v rail.

I wonder if I bought a adaptor if it would work in place of the 300 watt.

Any ideas?

by "it doesn't have a 12v rail" do you mean the 12v rail doesn't work?

it wouldn't be a good idea to put that psu in because the mobo needs 12v as well as just about every other device in your pc :)

Sorry am I bad, I meant the P4 connection

The specs for this certain computer is:

AsRock P4V88 Raid+
256mb DDR333
40gb Harddrive
Radeon 9200se 64mb
32x CD-RW
And two 80mm fans

Im thinking of cutting the P4 connection off of the trouble powersupply and sodering it to a molex connector on the 250 watt one and covering it in electrical tape... :suspiciou

For all of you out their that need a P4 connection but don't have one, heres how to make your own. (Provided you have access to a P4 connnecter, but oh well...)

Needed:

Wire cutters
Electrical Tape
Wire stripers

*Optional, but preferred*
Sodering Iron

Step 1, Cut the P4 connection off of the damaged or dead power supply, leaving plenty of cable to reach the connection when finished.

Step 2, Using your wire stripers stripe off a little of of the yellow and two black wires in between two molex connecters.

Step 3, Then wrap the two yellow wires around the exposed yellow wire in between molex connecters and attach one of the P4's black wire to one of the exposed wires in between the two molex connecters and then do the same for the other one (yellow to yellow, black to black and black to black).

Step 4, Wrap any exposed wire in electrical tape and then your done!

*Optional* If you have access to a soderng iron then soder all of the connections

Hopefully this helps anybody else who has the same problem as I did.

I also have pictures of the whole process but I don't know how to get them on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back