I have

1.7GHz P4
512 MB SDRAM
DVD 16X
CDRW 16/10/32 (slow)
2 joysticks
Network card
17" monitor
Altec Lansing speakers (sorry no product id, but 2 small speakers + subwoofer)
GF4 Ti4200
Lexmark Z65 printer

All of this runs on a 320W PSU. Should I have a higher wattage PSU?

Thanks

I wonder if those figures are from starting surge, or running. Or if it is an average of several measurements taken. The startup surge would be higher than what is needed to run the system and would be a good number to use to insure that you have enough power.

Well hey, here's food for thought...

If your system currently works as it is, then you aren't having any problems with your PSU. Sound pretty logical?

There's no need to worry about a problem that doesn't exist usually. If you haven't suffered from mysterious reboots or extremely erratic hardware behavior, then there's no cause for alarm.

Well yes, sometimes my PC does reboot for no reason. And yes it's usually shortly after startup. Don't get that too often though.

Mind if i butt in with a quick question??

How do you find out what wattage your PSU is???

Seems a dumb question i know, but hey, i suppose im a bit dumb!!!

Open your PC up, somewhere in their near the back there should be a PSU with a label on it.

Try removing the CD's from your drives before you boot, or before you shut down. My father had the same problem, if there was a CD in the drive the machine wouldn't boot at all. CD's spinning up during startup is definitely a power sucker. If you don't want to bother with the whole thing, buy a shiny new 400W Enermax or Antec :giddy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back