Psu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3xynanigoat

So I left home Saturday night with my computers turned on, as I normally leave them. Sunday morning I returned and saw one of them off and the other one on. I thought it was a little strange I shrugged it off and went to turn the computer back on. I heard a very loud pop when i hit the power button but didn't really smell any smoke. I put my nose to the PSU fan but I'm not sure if I could smell anything. It may have been a residual burned smell or it may have been the smell of newness coming from my Enermax Liberty 620w PSU. The PSU is less than 4 months old. Either way does anyone have experience with PSU's making a poping sound? Is this PSU done for and if you have experienced this in the past did it take out other components as well? The computer does not turn on atm.

It could be the psu!!! If you unplug it from the mobo and short the green wire to any black one, that will tell you if the psu still works or not!!!!

That PSU is bad surely. That pop could be a blown capacitor. I'm afraid it needs to be replaced.

But first, try Rik's advice.

Regards :)

Did it take other components with it? I am curious because of the pop that was made. Enermax is a fine company for PSU's but the sound that was made makes me worry that something else went with it.

Are you sure the psu is dead??? The mains lead can sometimes make a pop sound if it isn't pushed in properly!!!!

s3xynanigoat said:
Did it take other components with it? I am curious because of the pop that was made. Enermax is a fine company for PSU's but the sound that was made makes me worry that something else went with it.

Probably it killed the mobo too. That happened to me when an old PSU blew. It killed the mobo, and almost, the CPU too :mad:

Can you try another power supply to test the rest of the components? Is the PSU in the other PC suitable for testing or do you have a spare one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back