PSU's and PCIE Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

I am buildig a 939athalon system with a 3700+ cpu and the MOBO I have supports pcie x16.
My question is does the PSU need to have pcie x16 lead to run a graphics card or what. I have a raidmax 380w now without the pciex16 lead but that is just an extra psu I have.
Do pcie x16 graphics cards need this lead?

Hi craigdexter1,

the PCI-E slot itself provides 75watts. the 6 pin PCI-E connector provides an additional 75watts.

all low end cards and most mid-range cards get all of their power from the slot itself and do not require the use of the 6 pin PCI-E connector. all high end cards and some mid-range cards require more than 75watts, so those cards will need the extra power of the 6 pin connector.

basically, if the video card has an input for the 6-pin connector, then it needs it.

also... I would advise against using that Raidmax PSU. Raidmax PSUs are low quality and are known to destroy other components when they go (due to the crummy protection circuitry)

cheers :wave:

Not all of them need it. It depends on which one you get.

Edit: Beaten to the punch.

Also, many video card that do need it come with an adapter that connects to a 4-pin molex connector on one end and outputs a 6-pin PCI-E connector on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back