Pulling hair out trying to connect to net...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok.....so I just reformatted my hard drive yesterday and brought it home to begin reinstalling everything

I installed McAfee (despite everyone's thoughts about it) and then Weatherbug....

now I can't connect to the internet and I've tried the following:

-disabling and re-enabling my LAN connection
-ensuring that the LAN Settings are set to automatically connect
-check in my McAfee network monitor that I am connected and it said that
the internet feed is being sent to the computer
-reset the router 3 times to make sure that it wasnt a router problem
-double checked the hub to which the main ethernet cable is being
connected to make sure that it is on and transmitting a signal

any thoughts as to what I should do next?

...and make sure Windows Firewall is turned off, and any of your other programs that may have firewalls built in. Always do that, then when you get your internet connection working, you can reintroduce the firewall/program and see if that affects it.

I looked at the thread about the basic network tutorial and followed along with the instructions to check if I could reach my ISP. I also checked to make sure that neither windows firewall nor McAfee firewall were restricting internet access.

I was able to ping 127.0.0.1 and my gateway 192.168.0.1

I was not able to ping www.google.com but was able to ping google's ip, 66.102.7.104...

apaisncsu said:
I was able to ping 127.0.0.1 and my gateway 192.168.0.1
this says your NIC card is fine AND you have access from the system to the router :)
I was not able to ping www.google.com but was able to ping google's ip, 66.102.7.104...

You can ping by-ipaddress; which implies you have routing and traffic flow
from your system->nic->router->isp-> ... to anywhere else! :giddy:
The ping by-name says nslookup www.google.com will also fail,
which implies your DNS address is wrong :(
Verify you have DHCP set for the DNS address as well as the IP address.

please copy/paste the output from ipconfig /all
and we can investigate. btw: Who is your ISP (please report their home-page URL; eg www.earthlink.net )

I get my internet from Road Runner (broadband cable LAN)

here is what I get from IPCONFIG /ALL:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1adam12
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-4F-2D-20
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.25.5.150
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 01, 2007 7:51:08 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, April 01, 2007 8:51:08 PM

Both your DNS Servers respond to pings which means they are up and active, but they are not doing recursive lookups for you. Check with your ISP that all is OK on their end, they may be not doing DNS lookups for whatever reason.

You could also try and assign your NIC a static IP address (same as your ipconfig /all) and set your DNS server as your gateway ... just as a test.

Your IPCONFIG is all right and normal, you just aren't receiving TCP Traffic. In my experience, and I have seen it a lot, both Norton Internet Security and McAfee can stop you from getting on the net even if disabled, sometimes even when uninstalled (Norton) you have to run the removal tool after uninstallation, not sure if Mcafee has one).

If you are not 100% positive that there is no way it could be stopping your internet traffic than try uninstalling it. You can always reinstall it.

My money is on McAfee being the problem though.

Dean.

Especially considering that your problem started immediately after installing McAfee.

Edit:(Add-on): Had a machine just this week, giving me all the right info, just like yours. It would ping, everything was setup correctly, but it still would not surf. This one had had Norton's actually uninstalled from it unbeknownst to me, until I found some left over entries in the Registry for Norton Internet security. I removed all the entries I could, manually, from the registry. Still it would not let me surf.
I ran the Norton Removal Tool, and voila, I could surf. I have experienced this with McAfee before as well. Though usually all you need to do with McAfee is uninstall it, reboot, and you're right to go.

Let me know how you go.

I thought it might be McAfee as well...

I'll try uninstalling and if it is McAfee, I'll have something to say to customer service...as user friendly as they try to make the securiy center, the program shouldn't lock you out of the net and then make it damn near impossible (to the average user) to manupulate the settings

if you suspect a misconfigured firewall, then you can add this rule to
alway allow DNS query+replies:

allow tcp in/out any source-ip any-dest-ip port 53​
move it prior to any DENY rules

I am still here....I just spent the last two weeks moving and now I am back to setting up my computer...

My ISP is Road Runner and I was told my an in-house IT guy in the office this morning that Road Runner offers its own free security package that's user friendly and protects against viruses, spyware, registry changes, spam, hackers, etc.

Do you all know if this is a good security package to use?

I'd like to switch from McAfee because of the lack of user-friendliness even though I still have until August before my registration expires.

As for the business in this thread, I'm going to uninstall McAfee first thing when I get my computer back up and running.

How long has McAfee been installed and running on your PC? If it's been on there for a while, why now would it cause a problem?

A quick way to test if it is McAfee's fault is to keep a constant ping going to a public IP address, disable McAfee and see if the ping starts to reply or changes in any way.

www.google.com is 66.102.7.104, so run a constant ping to it before disabling McAfee.

ping 66.102.7.104 -t

Re: First post mikescorpio, he just reformatted and started again, and it happened as soon as he installed McAfee.

Good suggestion though.

I just helped a friend toss McAfee off her system (what a mess).
It had 11 LSP mods installed in the TCP stack -- WOW!

Suggest COMODO as a firewall
and AVG 7.5 as an Antivirus.

jobeard said:
I just helped a friend toss McAfee off her system (what a mess).
It had 11 LSP mods installed in the TCP stack -- WOW!

Suggest COMODO as a firewall
and AVG 7.5 as an Antivirus.

I love McAfee, its the best I've ever used. And it was free in my case.

O.K. so I just got the computer back up and running and immediately uninstalled McAfee and I now have internet access

I was going to at least try to contact McAfee tech support to find out how to allow characterized web address accessing but the support cost F&*#ING $2.95/min. So to hell with McAfee. I payed $80.00/year for Internet Security Suite and that support cost is OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Thanks for all the help and I'm currently downloading AVG 7.5.65 Professional

When you install McAffee, look at the services it starts.

If it starts a proxy service, change it to disable.

I've had nothing but problems no computers with 3rd party anti-virus with proxies.

if you PAY for anti-virus services , you're a FOOL. There are many good FREE services out there.

jobeard mentioned AVG anti-virus software from Grisoft. It is great and free. No need to pay for AV software. Crazy to do so, in fact, in my opinion.

Good stuff apaisncsu, glad to see you are up and running again, I was sure it was McAfee.

As some of the others suggested, AVG is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back