purchasing Windows XP upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I just have a quick simple question: I'm in the process of purchasing Windows Xp home edition to install on my new laptop that currently has a Japanese OS. I've notice when searching online to purchase Windows XP that there's a Windows XP Home Upgrade plu SP2 and a more expensive Windows XP Home Edition. I assume I have to purchase the ladder and not the upgrade. Am I correct?
Thanks for the help

Are you wanting to switch from Japanese SP to English XP?

If so, yes, you need to get the full version (not the upgrade).

By the way, I'd recommend doing some research first. Many people have had an EXTREMELY hard time finding drivers that'll work for their hardware in an English OS.

Does the company that makes your laptop also sell an identical English version model? If so, then you shouldn't have problems finding the drivers.

To be completely honest, I am not sure WHY it is such a problem (I have never gone through the process myself). Drivers themselves are universal and are not language dependant. It is the INSTALL programs that change, but you theoretically SHOULD be able to point windows (when it asks for the drivers) to the driver files and install them. SHOULD.

But there have been a few otherwise completely literate computer people who say they have not been able to do it. Urban myth perhaps, but thought I'd warn you in advance.

Thanks for the help Don,

I`ll look into the drive problems but it should be OK. The new computer I bought is a Sharp Meblius so should be find locating any drivers.

Another quick question. The computer has a Radeon Xpress 200m video card that I assume needs drivers to activate. If I remove the current Japanese OS and install a fresh english OS will the neccessary drivers be available in the english version?

Thanks again

That is an integrated chipset isn't it? It all depends on whether or not Sharp did any customizations to it when they popped it into their motherboard. In some cases (particularly for notebooks) you can't just download the drivers from the maker directly, instead you have to go to (for example in your case) Sharp's website and download the chipset drivers from them directly as they have customized it to fit THAT PARTICULAR model you have.

Again, I don't know enough about Sharp to say if this is the case for you. I just checked Sharp's site, and couldn't find anything about mebius notebooks, which frightens me a bit....
http://www.sharpsystems.com/products/pc_notebooks/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back