Putting hard drive in workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

topkat690

Hi I have a KayakIII workstation and all it has in it is a cd rrom and floppy drive instaled I would like to know if I can put a hard drive in it and does it have to be erased or new and also will I have to change the settings such as slave, master, etc.

topkat690

do you know your way around a motherboard
have you installed HDD's before
do you have a OS to put on hard drive

open workstation up write down the board numbers and or check with HP they still may have info on that model
sounds like a good practice pc

No I'm not to familiar with motherboards and the hard drive I have has an os on it I took it out of an old PII that I had. so maybe I should get a cheap Hd and go from there.

I have installed cd roms before but I have not installed a hd before and yes I do have an OS for it I have win98 SE since this PII is only 400 mghz I only want it for the kids to do homework on and access the net, so they can stay off of mine and I would like to get some experience doing this kind of thing since I love computers.

find the plug and or cable that says ide 1
set the hdd to master,just to be safe unplug pc from wall.
red line on cable goes toward power plug
red line on power plug goes toward cable
should use the floppy that came with 98 all works better that way.may want to lookup how to format drive
if drive is unknown you should get a wiping utility
and set all to 0's or 1's this may over write any bugs if on drive.
oh ya one more thing ,with everything unpluged find the cmos jumper and reset to default
again very important to find manual for MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back