putting one xp home cd on multiple computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockfan1815

I own two computers, both at my house, Is it legal to put my windows xp cd on both computers using the same cd key. My computers are hooked up to my home network/router with my cable modem hooked up to it. Is it alright to use the same cd on multiple computers, with internet on both.

im just taking a guess about this, but arent you behind a router, using NAT.
Therefore if MS were tracking it, they would see the router giving out the CD key so if they were the same im guessing it would only give it once. And surely there must be some way.

Also could you not network them using a "crossover" cable, and then the second computer would have a LAN IP like 192.168.0.XXX. Ive heard that this kind of connection is not "allowed" is this true or what?

Do you really think Microsoft is that dumb to track their Windows copies by IP addresses?
The Windows activation thing is done through hashes that take all the hardware installed on your computer into account. So if you want your computers to be indistinguishable then they have to be identical hardware wise.

Besides, MS is not pursuing people using illegal copies they find out about with the snooping so you can probably install that XP on several computers and get away with it.
In any case it is illegal. You are allowed to use that XP on only one computer at a time.

According to a Microsoft Executive( PC world, Fall 04)
"You can only install 1 instance of windows on 1 machine per license."

yea "as long as you dont get caught", does anyone actually know if/how they are tracking it?

dont worry

ms is unable to track xp or what keys you use wether its a fake key or the original key as per ms internet news posting what they are doing is that all the newer xp os versions you get with your comp or buy you will have to personaly call in and activate it, instead of online as per ms news posting all older versions of xp are a lost which means they arent doing anything about them so do as you please but if youd like to have the lasted version of xp you ll have to call in now i dont remember when this starts but it starts this year sometime so you dont have anything to worry about
you will know if you have to call in to activate the new versions because after you install the newer versions of the xp os it will freeze with a white screen and a number for you to call

dont worry

just to let you know if you go to future shop,radio shack,visions,any comp store they all use one xp os install disk for each version to install the os on the computers and then they just type in any code this is how when you buy a comp the xp cd and booklet has never being opened they use the cd over and over agian second of all each version only has 12 different codes per version so there are many many duplicate codes out there the first xp home edition only had 4 different codes example my cousin has the same code as i do and we both have xp home both bought xp home from two different store two different provinces

would it be legal if I didn't put internet on the second computer because the second computer I just use for when people come over my house so they can play against me and my brother who also has his own custom computer.

btw if u use fake multicomputer licence i dont think they are gunna track u , for ex u can take some schools licence or some other companie's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back