Qi2 standard will bring efficiency and interoperability to wireless charging

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
Forward-looking: "Apple does it better," at least when it comes to wireless charging for the latest iPhone models. So much that the Wireless Power Consortium is working with Cupertino to bring the new Qi2 wireless standard to a much wider market of smartphones and accessories.

The Wireless Power Consortium (WPC) is working on a new standard for wireless charging. Qi2 (pronounced "chee two") is designed to be efficient and interoperable, bringing unity to the industry and promoting market growth. This time, Apple seems to be willing to play a more collaborative role rather than going the proprietary way with MagSafe.

Set to arrive in 2023, Qi2 is indeed a new wireless charging standard built upon the aforementioned MagSafe technology. Apple provided the basis for the new standard, WPC says, working with other members of the consortium to developed a new Magnetic Power Profile that lies at the core of Qi2.

The Magnetic Power Profile will ensure that smartphones or other rechargeable battery-powered devices are perfectly aligned with the charging station, WPC explained, thus "providing improved energy efficiency and faster charging."

According to Paul Struhsaker, executive director of the Wireless Power Consortium, consumers and retailers were confused about what devices were Qi Certified and those that claimed to work with Qi but are not Qi Certified. "This confusion can lead to a poor user experience and even safety issues," Struhsaker says, so Qi2 will have to provide consumers and retailers the assurance that their devices are "safe, efficient, and interoperable with other brands."

The Qi2 standard is set to replace its predecessor, Qi, in a market that's rapidly expanding with one billion devices (both transmitters and receivers) expected to be sold worldwide by the end of 2023. The new Qi2 accessories will bring wireless charging to mobile devices that wouldn't work with the current flat surface-to-flat surface setup.

There are no official specs yet but according to a WPC spokesperson, Qi2 will offer an initial charging capability of 15W – the same as MagSafe chargers and double the Qi-compatible chargers' power (7.5W). Higher power profiles and recharging capabilities should come to the standard at a later date.

Struhsaker further remarks how Qi2 is perfectly aligned with modern needs for energy efficiency and sustainability, as the new standard reduces the energy loss that can happen when the phone and the charger are not aligned. Furthermore, Qi2 will "greatly reduce the landfill waste associated with wired charger replacement due to plugs breaking and the stress placed on cords from daily connecting and disconnecting."

The first Qi2-certified smartphones and chargers are expected to go on sale by the 2023 holiday season.

Permalink to story.

So intel opened up and offered thunderbolt to the usb-if and we got usb4… now apple is opening up and offering MagSafe to the WPC for Qi2? Cool.

Every phone I've seen that regularly uses wireless charging as far worse battery degradation then those that use cables.

iphone 12 users with magsafe chargers showing their batteries at 85-87% versus those that use cables being at 98%+.

Too much heat. I'll pass, since batteries cant be replaced the last thing I need is to destroy my several hundred dollar pocket computer faster for a little convenience.

Every phone I've seen that regularly uses wireless charging as far worse battery degradation then those that use cables.

iphone 12 users with magsafe chargers showing their batteries at 85-87% versus those that use cables being at 98%+.

Too much heat. I'll pass, since batteries cant be replaced the last thing I need is to destroy my several hundred dollar pocket computer faster for a little convenience.
Once your iPhone battery reaches 80% life remaining you can get it replaced by apple, for a fee (approx $69-$89). But yes, wireless charging can generate a lot of heat especially if the state of charge is low but if the battery is reasonably filled up, the charging speeds will be slower and thus less heat is generated.

Once your iPhone battery reaches 80% life remaining you can get it replaced by apple, for a fee (approx $69-$89). But yes, wireless charging can generate a lot of heat especially if the state of charge is low but if the battery is reasonably filled up, the charging speeds will be slower and thus less heat is generated.
I dont buy $1400 iphones, so that doesnt apply.

On the whole charging thing.....no shat sherlock? That's how charging works in general. That has nothing to do with wireless charging getting noticeably warmer and wearing out batteries faster, so I'm not sure why you brought it up.

Did you know that the length of days also changes with the rotation of the earth on its axis, whcih can cause air temperature to decrease? This can result in lower ambient temperatures allowing phones to charge while not getting as warm. Doesnt change the fact that wireless charging gets hotter and wears out batteries faster.

I bought the Peak Design case for the Pixel, use magsafe stuff all the time now, it's great. I use slow chargers to limit charge speed, they don't get hot.

Back