question about 8800 and 7600 gs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just make sure that you have the required power for any of the 8800-Series Cards....they require a significant amount from both your wattage and the amps on the +12V rail. Good Luck :wave: !

8800's power requirment

400w26amp is reccomended by nVidia for the GTS, 450w30amp for the GTX

These specs are however the minimum you want to use for a PSU. Just take into concideration how much your other componants are going to eat.

Id say atleast get a 550 watt or higher with as close to a 30amp on the +12v rail/s as you can find. Remember that if you are buying a psu with multiple +12v rails you add them togeather for total amperage.

Also I have the liberty of owning a 8800GTX and have installed a few GTS in customer systems. They are big, however the GTS is more workable than the GTX. The GTX has a hard time fitting in most midtower cases but it does squeeze in there.

I would say that if you are working with a decent midtower case that the GTS will fit in no problem. But if you have anything to fancy like out of the ordinary HDD racks or other goofy stuff in the lower front of you case it may be a problem.

Just measure 10 inch's from the I/O mounting slots to the front of the case. If it clears you know the GTS will fit.

Also if you use any PCI devices (more than 1) you may have a problem as this beast will eat on of them up depending on your board layout. Atleast it does on the asus boards i use it with. But that also depends on your boards PCI layout.

I also have a 8800 and its massive, but its well worth it. You can basically do anything youve ever wanted to do. I would go the extra mile and just get it. If you can fit it in your case, get it. But if you do not have room then obviously dont.

But if you have ample space, and you are worried about looks, IMO it makes your rig that much beastier looking.

to be honest i have no use for the 8800 lol i just like upgrading i have a 7600 gs 256 mb only pc game i play is sims 2 ill stay with the 7600 gs for now i guess

Oh, well if you are just running Sims 2, then you are definitely fine. I dont blame you for wanting one. But if you want one just to have one, stick with the 7600 for now until more games come out that are compatibly with DX10.

8800 gts

I just got the MSI 8800 gts 320 (biggest damn thing I've ever seen!)

3x as big as a 7600 card at least! Its not even in my case yet! It's too beautiful ~ :giddy: comes in a freakin suitcase!

seriously though* I have a bfg 7600gt that card is just fine....... It does just about what normal people need! I would wait for the 8800's to come down under the 200.00 mark or wait for next generation.... 7600 and greater will be very useful for awhile....

see i got an all acrylic case so dam sexy but that card is so dam huge lOL i cant stick it in there with out it being cluttered.

im running

7600 gs

core 2 duo 2.6 not over clocked yet =)

3 hard drives 250 gigs each..

550 wat charmelon psu

dvd rw combo drive..

dvd drive

xtreme fatality sound card

pci capture card

logitech z5500

nice rig?

?

is your case at least a mid-tower atx?
if your ram sticks don't come all the way down where they would hit something level with your pci-e slot, you might be ok... its 9" but real thick, (don't tell your girlfriend, not mine of course :haha: thats an awesome setup !!

eh my ram sticks go straight down im on the asus p5b and i got 4 gig ram so yea my case is fully stocked lol.

I would not suggest overclocking for someone unless they have read thoroughly about it, and have a "test" computer to try it on. You can ruin your computer by overclocking :eek: !

From what you are saying, your rigs sounds 1337. You definitely have some nice components in your rig. But, it seems like you have the money to spare for computer parts. If I was you, I would go for it. It would make that rig you have, even more sexy.

yea man i wish i could but see the problem is the size i have 3 pci slots being used i can eliminate the capture card as i dont use it anymore but the other 2 is a must need so still wont fit =(

it will only take one extra pci slot if the case is long enough, and if it is not long enough it will not fit in... I have never suggested to put two cards together at least one being a video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back