Question about acrylic and EMI/static discharge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I'd like to confirm if there will be problems caused if I move my acrylic casing from a non-airconditioned but well-ventilated room to an airconditioned but not very well-ventilated room. Will this cause an increase in the build up of static electricity? What precautions would I need to take?

Also, are there any items in the market that help to prevent EMI discharge from taking place, since acrylic doesn't have such a built-in protection? Thanks

Hey goatman

You may see an increase in static, but that shouldnt be a problem as long as you take some simple steps to stop ESD. The only time you should worry about ESD is when you have the case open and/or touching the internals (which you dont need to do often) You can by a "bracelet" that you hook on to the case to ground you and prevent you from have ESD. I think that is a little bit much, when i install things i dont wear socks and i am fine! :haha: Good luck!

Sean

I don't see you should have any problems with the case. After all if acrylic cases caused ESD problems with the components the forums would be full of irate comments by now! :hotbounce
I don't think the environment the case is in will make any difference either. I think most if not all of the components (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) are earthed via the power supply, or via their supply on the mobo from the main power connector. Therefore there is no relative difference between them as far as static is concerned. If the airflow and the acrylic is what worries you regarding a static build up, can I assume you are running passive rather than fan cooling on your CPU and power supply? :angel: Otherwise that would also cause a static problem wouldn't it?

Cool thanks! But what about EMI waves? Are there any items that can help prevent EMI from my cell phone to the PC? I remembered there was some sort of a reflective sheet, but I'd like to know the name exactly. Thanks in advance

A quick Google has thrown up http://www.rtpcompany.com/products/shielding/ which may provide more information, and http://www.twp-europe.co.uk/pages/teckpaint.html is a link to a conductive paint for shielding. As far as I can see though any shielding product you can fit will obscure the acrylic. Perhaps your best bet if it is that much of a worry for you would be to make a feature of the EMI protection by using a copper or silver mesh (or rods around the perimiter of the case) to build your own Faraday cage for the case. It doesn't seem to be an issue or a worry for the majority of acrylic case users though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back