Question about low profile/half height video cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddystabz

I just got a Dell Dimension C521 as a second computer. The problem is that the tower is incredibly narrow. It is the thinnest computer tower I've seen when looking at its width. The issue is that I want to upgrade the graphics capabilities of the machine so that I can run some of the MMORPG games I like to play. I can see through doing some research that I'm going to have to go with a low profile/half height card to fit this case chassis. The Nvidia Geforce 6600 I had will not fit it because of the chassis. It is a pci express x16 connector.

My question to you is this: Is it true that low profile/half height graphics cards are usually inferior to their full sized counterparts since they are smaller and make it difficult for manufacturers to fit chips/transistors, etc? I think I read this somewhere and I wanted to check up on it.

My only options are to use low profile/half height cards or to swap the system out for one with a full sized tower. Thanks for your input!

You should keep this system and go to bestbuy and buy a Full Tower case... But instead of actualy buying a prebuilt one just build your own?

If you want to see a good build for only $1,400 you can look at my build in my profile or if you want to build a nice AM2 gaming computer go to this link:

https://www.techspot.com/article/25-affordable-am2-gaming-system/

The system in that guide is $700 and gets good performance on today's games, even oblivion / fear which needs really high-end parts

Hope I helped ;)

You are saying I should keep this system AND buy a custom one? That doesn't really make sense to me and doesn't address the question about full size vs. low profile/half height cards.

No im saying you should keep the parts inside the case and just go to bestbuy and buy a new Full Tower case to fit your card ( As I read you couldnt fit it because it's a slim case )

What I was saying about building a custom was instead of buying Dell crap you should save your money by the hundreds and build your own

Oh, I see! How difficult would it be for me to move everything from this tower to a new case? I've never transplanted a CPU/MO before. I've done a lot of other computer surgery before though.

Hmm do you know what kind of mobo you have know? ( ATX, micro ATX, baby ATX ) if you know I can link you a good case for your mobo so you dont buy the wrong one from bestbuy and it wont fit your mobo =P

Also... If you know how to build a computer then it wont be hard, all you do is remove screws and then put them back into the other case ;)

I will try to find out from Dell. I know the system is an AMD 64 Athlon processor, 512 MB RAM DDR 2, Nvidia GeForce 6150 Le graphics. I will try to get more specific info for you and thanks for all your help!

You're welcome stabz ;)

If you can go to this website www.newegg.com and see if you can find your mobo there after you find out from dell because I can see more details about it

You must have an AM2 system, and probably, a microATX board, because most mobos with Nvidia's 6150 chipset are microATX boards ;)

Cool thanks wolf... when he confirms it from dell ( dont want to link him something he cant use ;) ) I'll post a link to a nice case =D

All the info the tech could find on it is that it is BTX compatible for AMD Athlon 64 and 64x2 CPUs and based on Nvidia memory control hub and ICH ADH input/output controler hub digital home. I'm thinking this is possibly a custom proprietary MB for these Dell systems. I got the system from a local Aaron's Sales and Lease Ownership store and they told me they would be willing to swap it for another system so I might be better off swapping it for another comparable Dell with a bigger tower that will accept normal pci express cards.

I think BTX is Baby ATX but im not sure... i'll wait till someone else says it's baby ATX befor I link a case ok?

Well Baby AT is an older form factor. Remember those old socket 7 days lol :)

If its BTX, you'll need a special case (what a surprise from Dell uh?)

That's weird. Like I said before, I'm pretty sure that most 6150 mobo's are normal microATX boards. That would allow you to use a normal, cheaper ATX case.

But hey, let's not forget it's a Dell computer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back