Question about motherboard/cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, first time poster here - I found out about TechSpot while looking for an answer to a problem.

I bought parts for my computer last week and it was doing fine until yesterday. I'm quite sure everything was working because I had installed Windows XP the day before. When I try to turn on my computer it doesn't boot or POST at all. It then attempts to boot itself over and over again. The fans work for about 3 seconds before switching off then coming on again. I realised after trying various things that the fans would continually run without stopping if I unplugged the 8-pin connector for the CPU. My guess is that there is either a problem with my CPU or motherboard. The question is would the fans work without the motherboard being functional, or is it a problem with my CPU?

For your reference, I have an e6600 cpu and a gigabyte 965p-ds3p motherboard.

Cheers
Daniel

The problem could be anywhere. You need to trace back everything you have done, and compare everything to the motherboard and video graphics manuals.
Either something is installed incorrectly, a pin is bent, or something is unplugged.
I would go back to one power supply, one driver (preferably a floppy with Windows 98 or other simple boot), one memory module, and a simple video connection. If you don't have a boot with that, you really need to take a very close look at everything you have done... crossed wires, bent pins, incorrect cpu, bad cpu fan, and so on.
Your motherboard and cpu are correct, if all the switches and jumpers are correct... look for a bent cable, or broken socket... bad memory module...
Start with simple and if simple works, walk your way uphill.

IF you installed the mobo in the case it could be a standoff issue (shorting).

Start again with most of the build OUTSIDE the case.

ALSO, make sure you installed the cpu heatsink correctly.

gl

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back