Question about Port 80 and ACT! 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcroot

I don't know if this is the right category for this topic but I will give it a try.
This is my situation.. I have ACT! 2007 and I want to setup the remote synchronization because I have another guy in Georgia who needs to synchronize his data base with my here in New Jersey.
I called ACT! And all they this was setup my ACT! Settings correctly.

I already have my network setup and I’m using a wire and wireless connection (Linkys) so what I did is:

Open the default port that ACT! Asked me to do and forward this port to my main PC where my ACT! Data base is. Either way I couldn’t get this working until I open port 80 in my router and forward it to my main PC…

Now I’m afraid that somebody get into my PC and take all my important files since while searching the Internet I found out that Port 80 is not good to have it open.

Can somebody please tell me if ACT! 2007 remote synchronization need port 80 in order to work? Or there is another way to get this working? If for some reason port 80 is mandatory is there a way or tool that I can make it more secure?

I will appreciate any help.

You don't say which country you come from - this could be relevant.
ACT 7 is known to have problems and after yelling at the UK end they upgraded me to V8 (not fixed) and then V9 (part fixed). One of the issues was the synch process and even the ACT teccies did not know how to set it up. In the end we used dyndns (http://www.dyndns.com/) to provide a fixed IP address for both ends. There was no need to set specific ports in the router or the PC to make this work.
Hope this helps - my advice is to go back to ACT and pressure them to find someone competent to sort this out for you.

Hi!

I'm from United States, well... I called ACT! and they told me they are not responsible for my router and that they won't give me any support for my router configuration.

Like I said before... the only way I can get this working is by opening port 80 and I'm afraid that this is not the right and safe configuration for my ACT! 2007 remote synchronization.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

The unwritten message in my post was that ACT is a rotten product and support is not much better. Mark you, if I had to support that thing I would be pretty brassed off too.
Depending on your router, I would expect you to be able to set the firewall to manage Port80 to exclude everything except the ACT sync program.

Hi!

Well right now I'm only using Linksys Wireless router WRT54G ver.6

Do you know if this type of router has a firewall that I can use to prevent access from other applications?

I would like some help since I don't know that much about computers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back