Question about Processor Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GWillford

First of all I want to introduce myself My name is Greg I live in Michigan and I have been around computers all my life I started working with computers back in the early 80's My first computer was an IBM compatible 8086 Processor I think it had 16K of memory also. I want to apologize if this post is in the wrong forum. I have questions about a couple of things. First of all my Processor seems to be running quite slow. I am not sure if it is overburdened with running programs or what. I have a 1.7 Ghz pentium 4 processor with 384 megs of ram I have a NVidia Geforce 3 card with 64 megs of ram onboard. I have tried several things to free up space on the hard drive and to possibly get rid of some of the programs that may be running in the background. I have also run norton anti virus and Ad-aware for the spyware and found nothing that made any difference. Nothing seems to help. I am running Nortons speed disk on my machine as we speak so I cannot say if it has helped yet. Another problem that I am having is When I hit control alt delete my task manager pops up but there are no tabs at the top. it is stuck on the screen that shows running processes but I cannot change it to anything else. Can anyone help me with this. Is there a way to get back the tabs that are normally on top of the task manager window. Thank you so very much for any responses.

Greg

- Thread moved to proper forum
Didou

double click the light grey sourrounding the white with all the text in it, that will bring you back to the full window.

So basically your asking, how to make your computer faster?

Originally posted by ---agissi---
double click the light grey sourrounding the white with all the text in it, that will bring you back to the full window.

So basically your asking, how to make your computer faster?

I think he's probably trying to get it back to where it was when he first had it. Greg, correct me if I'm wrong in this.

You state that you're trying to free up hard drive space......have you got the 60GB drive that full? Have you run the standard defrag, checked for spyware with Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D and run a full virus scan (making sure, of course that your virus definitions are up to date)?

I can't see where you've mentioned it (it's a bit early right now) but what operating system are you using?

Yes Masque I have run Ad-Aware and Norton AntiVirus 2004 with up to date Virus Definitions I have also run Diskeeper 8.0 Proffesional and Trojan Detector software. My 60 Gig Drive had only 20% left on it I removed a bunch of stuff using Add and remove programs and even went through the C: drive to see if anything was still hanging around that I didn't want Oh yeah and I am running Windows XP home edition and I installed the Service Pack 2. The problem has been going on for about a year now and I am getting tired of such a slow computer. My old PC I gave to my kids is a pentium 2 450 Mhz and it seems to be a lot faster than my 1.7 Ghz pentium 4. I also noticed that when I click on something to start it up the Hard drive seems to run constantly for about 15 to 20 seconds or more before it even pops up on the screen. for example if I click on my computer the hard drive light stays on constant for like I sadi about 15 to 20 seconds and than it pops up on the screen. On my old computer I click on my computer and it is up on the screen almost instantly. I understand that the HD needs to be accessed in order for Programs to run but I believe that it is running excessively. Thank you so very much for your responses Masque and agissi

Try this:

Open up a command prompt: Click Start, Run and type in 'cmd' without the quotes and hit Enterl. Type in 'chkdsk c: /f and hit Enter. The next line will tell you that you won't be able to fix some system files without a reboot and will ask you if you want to run it on your next reboot. Type in 'Y', close out the box and reboot. Let me know if it works out at all. Beyond that, you need to use a hard drive tool to determine if the drive has been going bad on you.

Wen is the last time you re-installed Windows?? May be time for a clean install. I used to use System Works but it slowed my computer and caused crashes. If your system uses System Restore Id turn it off. It was notorious for slowing down Windows ME.

Well Vegasgmc A clean install is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I do thank you all for any responses or suggestions that you can offer. Thanks again for your time and effort. Bug I am going to download the CPU program and try and get a snapsot of all of the things that you have requested. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back