Question about RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hi, Ok I had an Emachines T2642 that the motherboad went out so I was wondering if the RAM would still be good becuase I have a Gateway 300se that I think takes the same type of ram.

Question #1 Would the RAM still be good even though the motherboard that the RAM was in went out?

Quesion #2 If I would the RAM in the Gateway and it is the wrong kind will it do any damage to the computer?

Thank you for reading this

If the RAM is of the same kind (ex. DDR pc2100) or both mobos have an overlapping range of which this RAM is common to both then you are ok.(ex pc2100 to pc3200)

As to whether the dead mobo killed the RAM..it's possible, but not necessarily.

The AM says on it pc2700 but online I looked up Emachines T2642 and it said pc2100 and then I looked up Gateway 300se it said pc2100 but I guess I will have to open up the case and see.

Also if the motherboard did kill the RAM when it went and I put the RAM into the Gateway will it harm it in any way?

No it won't, if the RAM is dead then the Gateway will just beep at you (coded beeps from the bios). If you get no beeps and no post though I'd turn it off quickly. I'm just saying that in case the RAM is sooooooooo burned out it pulled down the power supply output. (very unlikely it's damaged at all though).

Cheers.

Thank you for the advice, and Yes I am aware Emachines is junk I had the computer for allitle over two years when the motherboard went out. But other than that I didnt really anything else going wrong with it. But I have a Dell Desktop that I bought to replace the Emachines and well so far I spent over 15 hours on tech support, restored he O/S 3 or 4 times, Had a teh come to my house and replaced the RAM and Hard drive and then I stil had problems so they dispatched me a brand new computer. And I bought this comptuer in March this year so yeah I think thats a lot so I feel dell isnt any better because the only problem I had with Emachine pretty much was the motherboard well also before the motherboard went out the ethernet port and sound went out but still it was a good comptuer for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back