Question about setting up a RAID array

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm interested in setting up a RAID 0 array in a computer that already has one drive in it.

Here's the question:
Can I set up the array without having to re-format the existing drive? I really don't want to have to back up all the data on the drive I already have.

Thanks for any help.

After a little bit of research, it appears you "may" be able to add another disk and RAID 0 it without deleting your data. Some Intel SATA controllers do this. Do you have IDE or SATA RAID? And what is the RAID controller?

But it appears the operation is fairly risky, because at some point it is going to have to be deleting data during the migration. One way or another. And if it fails in the middle...

My advice would be to backup your data and start with a fresh emtpy RAID.

Thanks for the advice. I was afraid that was going to be the final word.

I'm running a SATA RAID...SiS utility off of an ECS 755 (A2)

It's primarily a gaming CPU that I built for my brother and he has been wanting some faster level load times.

EDIT: I have another question:

What about setting up a RAID 1? Can that be done without re-installing everything. I would think that it could...

This would be for a different application, my brother-in-law wants to set up a RAID 1 to safeguard all the family photos.

Thanks again for any help.

Yes RAID 1 can be done with no risk.

Problem with RAID0 is that it has to split your data up between both drives, so data(a) has to stay put and data(b) goes to 2nd drive. Data(c) stays put and data(d) goes to 2nd. Etc.. So when data(b) and (d) get moved, it is deleted on the 1st drive.
Anyhoo, if something happens in the middle of it, it may not be recoverable.

And you'd have to see if that SiS util can even do the upgrade on an existing drive in the first place.

Anyhoo, I'm thinking about doing a RAID0 myself, but I wouldn't dream of it unless I had a 3rd drive to keep backups on. Due to 0 having no redundancy and twice the chance of going bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back