Question about Solved Posts

kimsland

I've noticed that may users threads either become Solved through the support received.
Or by the original user not returning to the original thread, to state all is now Ok.

But I cannot see where the user (or supporting members) can mark the thread as Solved or Closed.

Due to this other posts (and visits) are made from supporting members, usually without the original user (who posted) giving any response. ie it's Solved !

I believe to help TechSpot its members and even the guests viewing TechSpot threads, that a Solved flag be placed against these posts
Ideally being available under "Thread Tools"
And showing in the main forum list of posts as Solved (ie no attention required)

If other members here feel the same as I do, please Reply to this thread to give your thoughts to this.

Members who post should be allowed to mark threads Solved, so to stop receiving extra emails of "Try this..."

Please Reply, as I cannot mark this thread as Solved until the option exists !

While I think it is a good idea to say something is solved, I do like to think that the OP should be the one responsible for saying that, not the moderators.

If we begin closing all the threads that someone has a 'problem' or 'issue' in, then that is a fundamental change in how TS has been ran for the last, at least 7 years since I 've been here. Now I'm not saying it can't be done, but you are going against a lot of tradition with that thought, and that tradition has brought techspot from a tiny site to what it is now...

I also believe a Solved labelled thread, promotes TechSpot in dealing with computer technical issues, and finally solving users questions; in the greater community of technical support forums.

I agree the Solved option must come from the original thread starter

I like the idea very much but I am concerned of misuse.
there should be somebody who has proven kind of responsibility and who can check the threads and mark them as closed.
I think mods are already doing that in case of violation of the forum rules for example.
but this will be a huge amount of work for those who do that!?

I would rather have the users who started the thread to click on a button thats marks the thread as "solved" or sort of a timer that when exceeded does this automatically. it might be set to 4 weeks or something.
how about that? is that something that could be done from the forum script or is it an extra programming?

IMHO, just saying solved doesn't always help much. In a given thread more than one solution might be suggested and saying just "solved" isn't a lot of help. I've never seen this kind of thing in any other "help" forum although I've haven't seen them all. It's just the nature of the beast. I would love to see acknowledgments and see what suggested solution actually worked but I think it will continue to be a hit or miss thing. We will have to live with it.

I see that and I also cannot remember to have seen something like that in other forums. That shouldn't automatically mean to not try it?!
I think we have different approaches here. from a user perspective I could imagine the following scenario...
"I am new to the board and looking for help on my problem. I try the search function and get alot of results. Maybe I am a little lazy but I would like to see some threads marked as solved where I know right in that moment that I will find my solution. otherwise I need to go through alot of threads and try alot of things that may not work for me until I find the one thread that was helping somebody else and me..."
please don't misunderstand me. I was just thinking this could be a good idea and make it easier for some new users.

thanks!

Solved is used
As an example Here and info on it Here

After the user committing to Solved, the thread cannot have other posts, also it is plainly seen (in front of the post) for all others on the forum to see

Seems to a similar board makeup to here, so is this a feature that can be added ?

I still say - it will help ALL

Yes with that "Solved:" line
Which an original poster (poster- not sure if that's the best label !) can label
Not just the Admins or moderators (think of it this way - it'll halve their work)

No it won't :( 95% of people don't search before they post - if they did there wouldn't be so much repetition on the forums. We did start the solved topics area with the hopes that it would though.

I meant people looking at posts that are Solved (but not marked Solved of course)
and then replying (after spending time themselves on working out what it may be)

Only to be unaanswered, because it's SOLVED and the original person who posted, has no option but to leave the post lingering, even though they don't require any more help.

In regards to "solved" helpful links, I agree that the supporting replies include these where applicable

I want this solved !

I got lost between the initial question/comment and the most recent comments, but my take on the matter is that even if we were to implement an easy way to mark threads "solved", this would require either a bunch of members voting on it, the original thread opener marking it, or a team of moderators/staff keeping things running smoothly in that sense...

In other words, while from a theoretical point of view it is a good suggestion and obviously would be nice to have threads tidied up better, I see it as unpractical given the amount of content that is posted here every day (and keeps growing).

OK

The voting part, how do we do this ?
Can you Julio, make a post locked at the top of all posts asking for a vote ?

The unpractical part, I'm not sure what you mean, if the original thread opener had the ability to mark as Solved, wouldn't that reduce congestion ?
(which is actually my entire point)

We need to have a simple question like:
Should the original thread opener be allowed to mark posts Solved, and thereby stopping any further responses ? Yes / No

Apologies for double post, just one last question

SNGX1275; mscrx; mailpup; Tedster; Blind Dragon; LNCPapa; Julio

May I make a poll on this topic?

Or is this issue now understood and to be decided on already.

Kim

Should the original thread opener be allowed to mark posts Solved, and thereby stopping any further responses

Good point.

I'd like to change that line to say:

Should the original thread opener be allowed to mark posts Solved, allowing any further responses for information only ?

A consideration should be whether you allow the thread to continue through postings from new queries or other contributors. If you want members to start a new thread the answer has to be no - but we know that new posters rarely search through old threads anyway so this may answer itself.

The upside that I see, is when somebody googles a specific question, the link topic will pop up " [SOLVED]Why cant I go online " versus digging through unsolved post or post where the thread starter never returned

In truth, where the thread is closed as [solved] it does not matter as the contents and hopefully the solution are still available to read. If not, then a new thread is appropriate anyway. I have come across closed/solved threads on another forum and it works without any dissent. What I would agree is wrong is that there is no option to close a thread and maybe also to give a vote of thanks to the solution provider.

Interesting. I made this suggestion last year :) Literally, I suggested that another Post Icon be used like a green check mark on the top most entry to the thread.

I'm in favor of the POLLING.

LNCPapa said:
No it won't :( 95% of people don't search before they post - if they did there wouldn't be so much repetition on the forums. We did start the solved topics area with the hopes that it would though.
that's correct since most don't bother reading the FAQs and guides.

You shouldn't post a poll given that the matter is open for discussion but not for actual voting.

My points were made from a moderating/administrative view. If we were a tech support only site/forum then I see more sense in this but not the way things are where we cater to users looking for tech support or just general discussion, commenting, etc.

When is the busiest time on this board ?

AlbertLionheart, I confirm that this thread is also doing a similar awareness, but without input from any member just wanting to say yes or no

Back