Question about System Restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symbolite

Ok recently i inserted my computers restore CD to do a full system restore back to store bought status. Before i did that i was able to go into the regular system restore and every date in my calender for about a month or two back would have a restore point that was automatically created by my computer. Now after i did the full system restore ive noticed my computer has not been doing this anymore.

Does anyone know why? Is there a settings i need to change? (though i don't remember changing any settings last time)

Usually after a full system restore (using the Restore or recovery disk) there will not be any restore points yet (well maybe one only) ie you may need to wait until they come.

Or
Right click on My Computer
Select System Restore
Confirm there is no tick.

You can also make your own system restore point by:
All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore

Well i did the full system restore on Sunday i think, and actually now that i think about it i had to go through a bunch of updates like you usually have to do after purchasing a new computer, after each one i noticed a new restore point is created.

Now all that is behind me, its been about a day or two since the last update and just now i checked the system restore calender and there are no restore points on it. Not even the ones that i know were there the other day after all those updates.

Please create one (as directions above) then confirm it is there (by clicking Restore my computer to an earlier date (but don't actually proceed with th Restore - just check it exists)

Ok, i created a restore point, checked it and it was there, still no others from other days. I restarted my computer just for fun. Checked again, my created restore point is still there.

OK lets say resolved, unless you reply back tomorrow or the following days.
The other restore points (gone?) Better to start a fresh, with this known restore point. And continue to confirm its existance.

In the mean time, you may want to run CCleaner and then do a Defrag (under System Tools again)

Ok thanks, ill try the above, and update this thread if the created restore point randomly dissapears, but back to the reason i created this thread for a second. Is my computer supposed to auto create restore points for itself once a day like it was before i di the full system restore?

Every so often (every 24Hrs), the System Restore program takes a "snapshot" of Windows.

Reference Here:
http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dum...Times-with-System-Restore.id-8,subcat-OS.html

Automatic restore point creation

Windows XP creates system restore points every 24 hours. Change this frequency to ensure that they’re made more or less often. You can’t make this change within the program itself - instead, you’ll need to make a change to the Registry.

Locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ SystemRestore.

In the right pane locate the DWORD entry labelled RPGlobalInterval, or create if it’s not there.
The default setting is 86,400 seconds, which equates to 24 hours. Change this figure to alter the frequency of automatic restore point creation. For example, divide by 2 for a 12-hour interval and so on.

Ok, found that, it exists, called RPGlobalInterval as you said, type was REG_DWORD and the data has a bunch of numbers with 86400 in ( ) at the end. So i shouldn't need to change anything then? if so then its strange that my system is not creating these restore points automatically like it should.

No nothing to change, just confirmed the number exists (and does) and if you want to reduce that duration (normally no)

Also, the 24Hrs thing also says if the computer is actually on for 24Hrs (that's strange, I never knew that) but the System Restore will also make a snapshot on every change to the system, ie system and drivers updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back