Question about tv tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the sticky above and i just wanna make sure i understand this. What im looking to do is have the ability to watch dvd files that are on my computer on my tv.

From reading the thread, i think i need these parts:

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 Analog Tuner PCI Card
Hauppauge Media MVP

Can anyone recommend me to anything else? Also, ive been out of the whole computer upgrading thing for a while. What stores can u recomend these be purchased at.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

ah yes new egg. Thank you for the link.

Do you happen to know if those 2 things are all that i will need to meet my objective?

You don't need either. You need a video card with an output your TV can accept, or at least a converter.

Typical outputs on video cards are: HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite.

Typical inputs on non HD TVs are: Coax, Composite, S-Video, and sometimes Component.

Typical inputs on HDTVs are: VGA (sometimes), DVI (sometimes), HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite, Coax.

You are going to need to match your tv and video card's outputs, or at least stay close. You can go from DVI to VGA, DVI to HDMI, and DVI to another type of DVI. Other than DVI to VGA you can't really switch between digital and analog. S-vid, composite, component are all analog, they can't (easily/inexpensively) be converted to digital.

Basically if at all possible do not do any conversions.

Proven said:
I looked at the sticky above and i just wanna make sure i understand this. What im looking to do is have the ability to watch dvd files that are on my computer on my tv.

From reading the thread, i think i need these parts:

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 Analog Tuner PCI Card
Hauppauge Media MVP

Can anyone recommend me to anything else? Also, ive been out of the whole computer upgrading thing for a while. What stores can u recomend these be purchased at.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me.

I started the sticky,, I am adding more info to that to explain things how to do it.

Oh you want to watch DVDs on your PC on your TV you can convert them to MPEG2 format for playback on MVP. There was some effort on on DVD tool to play on your MVP, but it had problems. So the only way to do it was to Rip DVD create MPEG2 media then show it on MVP.

Example: My Movies folder would be created on PC then you can view it on your MVP.

TV in or TV out ?

You indicate in your first post that you want to watch dvd content on your TV.
**Check Out ATI All In Wonder.or cards withe Video out.*
----------------------------
A PVR is TV in to watch on your computer monitor.
I have the Winfast TV2000 XP Series Model 3.
You need cable TV to connect to it.It also records.
-------------------------------------------------
A DVD Player attached to yout TV will also play rental movies,mpg movies and jpg pictures and mp3's.
** Answers your topic title.

WinTV PVR-150
pvr150-250_ep_sm.jpg

This is the one I use...
RF Coax for TV ANT or CATV
S-Video
Composite Video
Stereo Audio using 1/8 Y RCA L/R adapter

WinTV-PVR-150MCE
pvr150-250mce_ep_sm.jpg
pvr150mce_board-s.jpg

Same as above except it has FM and RCA L/R Stereo Connections

If you hook your PC directly to TV using your Video Card S-Video out and your sound card audio out to your TV RCA Left/Right using 1/8 Y Stereo RCA L/R Adapter is another to watch your DVDs.

But you asked about MediaMVP is just small device it doesn't have DVD player inside. There is other third party software that will allow you to send DVD images down the network to MVP.

As far as I can tell he doesn't want to watch TV on his computer, he wants to watch his computer (playing video) on his TV.

No need for a PVR card or MVP, just a video card that does TV out (more detailed in my first reply), he probably already has one. Then headphone to RCA if he wants the sound to travel too.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I am looking to record tv shows on my computer as well as watch dvd's i have on my computer on my television. So all your saying is that i need a video card with the proper outputs to plug into my tv?

I am aware the MVP isnt a dvd player, but from what i got out of the article, its needed to play dvds from your computer to your tv.

2 different topics

1.If you have a TV set,you need a dvd player to add to it.
It should have RCA connections.Read the ads about these these.
DVD players are real cheap.
They will play rented dvd's and some will play your burned cd or dvd discs.
MP3's and certain video types.I think it's mpg's

2.You need a PVR PCI card to connect your cable TV cable to your PC.
You have to have Cable TV.:)

Mine comes with all i need to watch and record to my hard drive,
by remote control.You can put these on cd or dvd discs if you bought
the right TV player.
Please ask if this is not understood.

Ok, your original post said nothing about wanting to record TV on your PC. Perhaps it was implied when you said tuner in the topic, but whatever.

If you want to record TV you absolutely must have a TV Tuner card OR USB tuner, in either case the TV Coax or RCA/S-Vid (if going through a box first) has to plug into the computer somehow. So yes you were right that you need a tuner.

To Output video to your TV, all you have to have to do that is a Video card that will do it. Post #4 in this thread has the details on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back