Question about User accounts in XP with sp2

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddmr2

I have a question about the user accounts screen in xp. This is a puter i am fixing for a co-worker. He has 2 accounts listed, one says Administrator, and the other says Owner. They both have full administrative rights, but It wil not allow me to delete EITHER of the accounts, so He can have just 1 account. Thats all he needs. The odd thing is that when windows boots, it doesnt ask which acct to use. It just boots up. When I go into user accts there are still the same 2 there. I can change picture, password, etc.. But cannot delete the "owner" accont. I can understand not being able to delete the "ADMINISTRATOR" acct, but why not the Owner one? Is is because when xp boots that it is booting me into the "owner" account and I cant delete it when its in use? If so, how do I boot into the admin account if it doesnt give me the option to select it in the boot up screen.

Im stumped on this one. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

This page is just one of many that explains how to display the admin account in XP:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-09.html

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to use a full admin account for daily use, although I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be to use a more limited account for daily use. For non techie users it's just about do-able, but for anyone who likes to tweak settings, it's pretty much an impossibility.

You are correct in assuming that an account cannot be deleted whilst one is logged in to that account.

Also, the password for the admin account is created during the Windows installation - I'm not sure how it works when the OS is preloaded at purchase.

I would also advise that you DO have another account besides the required admin account. That way the admin account can be kept for troubleshooting - it is required for booting into the recovery console as well.

In short, the secondary account can be deleted if you log into the admin account as described in the link above, but I don't advise so doing.

Hope this helps
Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back