Question about Windows Pagefile

Status
Not open for further replies.

altheman

Hi all, is it a good idea to move my pagefile from the boot partition to a second partition where i store all my data, work, programs, etc. i've read some articles where they dont recommend this, but i made a boot partition of only 5gb, so ill have to move it or resize the boot partition.

yes. moving your page file to a second partition or drive is very smart along with moving your temporary internet files to a second partition or hard drive. Your primary partition will not fragment as much. It is not necessary to resize or move the boot partition, however, allow ample room for windows updates.

what I did was
use 2nd drive the first partition made it 2gb file format to fat32
put the pagefile there
I don't need for most apps
but my photoshop likes it loads real fast now
you can look at the recycle bin and change size and even remove from some of the drives
the temp thing is great as Tedster suggested
you can go into
right click my computer/ go to properties/advanced/ environment variables
make new path for temp files

one other question:

i was changing some settings, and i came to the crash dump options. i chose small dump, and then windows gave me a warning that if C: doesnt have a pagefile, a crash dump might not be generated. i have a pagefile on paritition E:, so i will a dump still be generated if i get a bsod?

don't add swap space across partitions ... you're yanking the disk arm needlessly
and therefore having a negative impact on paging performance.

adding swap spaces on multiple HDs is a great idea.

the page file is not on another partition it is on another disc
go to the settings I told you to and put your temp file with the drive that has you page file
shhsh

right click my computer/ go to properties/advanced/ environment variables

use 2nd drive the first partition made it 2gb file format to fat32
the 2nd drive will have more than one partition on it
the first being the pagefile dos sytem
it is very simple really
if you don't have a 2nd drive leave it alone if you have 1gb or more of memory most apps will not use it (ulead is an exception )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back