Question/concern about my 3d mark score...

GameAddict

System info, not overclocked:
AMD Athlon XP 2000
Asus VIA KT266A mobo 4x agp<-think it has C-media 6channel audio as well
Windows xp Home
Geforce4 ti 4600
Sound Blaster Live Plat. 5.1
512 megs DDR ram
using 3D Mark 2001 SE for scores

On the default 1024x768 32bit resolution I got a 3D Mark of 8391, does that sound right for my system? So I lowered resolution and all options and got a score of 10,896. Which sounded right for my system unless I'm suppose to get that score in the default?!?

I checked my IRQ settings and noticed my Sound card and video card are sharing the same setting PCI 11. They are only devices using this slot but should I change one to a different slot perhaps? I do sometimes get distorted sound as well which changing to software and back to EAX Hardware seems to fix.

I'm beta testing a very nice looking game that my system is running like crap and I'm wondering what I can do to get my performance up. Others with worse systems then mine don't seem to be having the same problems.

Thanks for the help all.

Well my specs are listed below and i get 9425 on the default settings so your machine is not performing as well as it should. You shud really be breaking the 10k mark on default settings. The only thing that seems very obvious would be the graphics card drivers, do u know which ones you have got? And if u havent got them, i would suggest getting the 29.42's ! As these seem to work best with the GF4 Ti. , these can be downloaded here:

Nvidia Site

And the general perfromance problem could be due to the VIA 4in1 Drivers...if you havent already, get the latest ones from here:

VIA

But although this site is very good generally for PC hardware, it may be worth posting a similar post at the Madonion (makers of 3D Mark) site, this is here:

ORB - Madonion.com

Thanks for the reply. I think I figured it out.

I forgot that a few days ago I changed teh seetins under my geforce to 2xAA. Gonna change it when I get home from work and see how my score fares then.

I'd say that's pretty good GameAddict - mine got a rating of 7,128 in 1024x768 and 8980 in 640x480.

Thanks for the links all. Last night I turned my 2xAA off in the Geforce4 settings and got a 9792 in defalut. Few months ago I got a 10344 so I'm wonder if the new drivers could be the source.
Anyhow my mom got a p4 2.2ghz with a geforce4 ti 4200 64megs and got a 10556 last night!!!!! hehe.

I know I should be getting better then that, can't figure it out. Changed my sound card to a different IRQ setting so just have my Geforce4 in the PCI 11 now. I did notice on some of my tests in 3Dmark it would pause every 2 seconds like the nature sceen, sceens with vertex shaders and pixel shaders. Not like normal graphic lag. Just a brief pause every 2 seconds on the dot. It was weird but I think that is what killed my score. It use to not do that so i wonder if it is the 30.28 drivers.

Oh well, thanks for help in my mystery :D gonna give that tweak guide a shot tonight.

And the game is under NDA but I will say that the new Asheron's Call 2 game has sweet graphics in the screen shots on their main site. ;)

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

From what I have seen the Geforce cards seem to get higher scores when paired with a high megahertz CPU. I think this could partially explain the score difference between the two systems. Also which version of the Geforce4 Ti4600 do you have? The 128mb versions tend to have slightly slower memory and at the default resolution 128mb vs 64mb shouldn't make much odds. But the faster memory on a 64mb version could well give the other card a higher score again. Still the Ti4600 should be kicking the standard 4200 into place. I would investigate the drivers. If you change drivers its recommended to use the detonator destroyer after the driver uninstall to remove it completely from the system, then install the new detonator.

Remember that your Athlon XP 2000+ is running at 1.67GHz while your mothers is 500Mhz faster! If you start to switch on AA and use other more advanced features of the card you will probably see your Ti4600 beating your mothers system. I don't have a technical explanation of why the higher CPU clock results in better 3dmark2001SE marks but I have seen the marks which show this to be true. Hope this is of some help? Also some BIOS settings for AGP video may be limiting your system. Have a read of the GeforceFAQ to find out more. Also check out the TechSpot Geforce Tweak guide for some insight into drivers, BIOS etc that may help...

Also the pause you describe sounds like the sound card could be polling the Interrupt (IRQ) and taking the resource away from the graphics card for a second. Rather than going to the bother of disabling APCI and reinstalling windows (which is what you have to do when you do this), try just removing the sound card from the system. This "barebones" approach to troubleshooting PC problems should be able to tell you if the sound card is causing the problem or not...

Very informative post Arris, thanks.
I havent been to happy with my sound card in the last 5 months so I may go out and buy me a new one :D even if it's not the porblem.
This card is close to 2 years old and even with newest drivers its always causing problems with new games I have to fix.

Depending on what budget your looking at and what you want from your sound card I can say I have had a really good experience with the Hercules Fortissimo 2 sound card. Cheap, like a little brother to the Game Theatre XP. I think the majority of sound cards have been reviewed here at techspot so you can have a look at the Extigy/Audigy/Fortissimo2/Phillips Acoustic Edge etc...

PS: The detonator destroyer application is available at www.guru3d.com

I also wonder about my score which is only 2080 !!!!!!!!!!!

I have a crappy machine so it may be the cause but even when i check for all settings to be OK it still gives me only 2080 by default ...

I have the following machine

AMD Duron 1000 (crap)
GF2 MX/400 64 MB DDR (crap) with Detonators 29.40
256 DDRAM
ECS K7S5a Mobo (crap)
Windows 2000 Pro SP2

However I think I sould get more from such a system ...

Compare 3D Mark 2001 SE results

HELP !! :confused: :(

No i have to say, i think that is about right!

My dads get 2100 with:
Athlon 900 @ 1ghz
256mb RAM
GF2 MX Oc/d

So i think that score is about right for such a system:rolleyes:

Yup.. My ex-flatmates TNT2 used to get about 500 on 3dmark2001. So that MX score is about right for that CPU pairing.
Sorry DigitAlex :(

Got my score up to 10,004 last night! Did a little tweaking and noticed I had Best Image Quality instead of Best Preformance selected in the Geforce 4 settings.

Also something else weird happened, I decided to try out my score in highest resolutions with all the high settings checked against my mom's PC to see which had a better score then.
Well went to 1280 X 1024 32 bit, turned on 4AA and some other stuff and guess what? The continual breif pause every 2 seconds I told you I get in nature sceene, Point Sprites, Advanced Pixel shader and Pixel shader, DOT3 Bump Mapping and finally Fill Rate tests? Anyway, in the highest settings I had NO PAUSE at all?!?!
That totally had me baffled. Anyway I got a 3896 I think and my mom's cpu got an error message and couldn't finish the test.

Oh well, just thought I'd share that with you guys.

Digital Alex,

Turn on 4x AGP, set your RAM timings faster, unlock the Duron & sick Riva Tuner on that card! :grinthumb There are some Durons @ MO that kick butt! Do a compare over there & you'll see. Then post "Need Duron Help" on the 3D Mark 2001 board & you'll learn how to get yours rockin'. :cool:

HTH,

PS: If my MX400 PCI card w/a 500celery & SDRAM can do 1520's on 3DMark 2001, I know you can do much better than 2080! ;) I DO have good cooling tho'.

Ok, removed my old sound card. Ran 3D mark.
Got score upto 10600 with no pausing in any of the tests.
Put audigy (new sound card in) ran 3D mark and got a 9765 score.

Oh well, thanks for the help all. And doing the reformating thing to get rid of ACPI or whatever it is really isnt a option.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by DigitAlex

I have a crappy machine so it may be the cause but even when i check for all settings to be OK it still gives me only 2080 by default ...

I have the following machine

AMD Duron 1000 (crap)
GF2 MX/400 64 MB DDR (crap) with Detonators 29.40
256 DDRAM
ECS K7S5a Mobo (crap)
Windows 2000 Pro SP2

However I think I sould get more from such a system ...

Compare 3D Mark 2001 SE results

HELP !! :confused: :(
I ran the thing yesterday, got a 2622.
GFX Card: GF2MX 32Meg (Classic, before the 200/400 ratings)
MOBO: Asus A7V
Processor: 1Ghz Athlon T-Bird
Ram: 512Megs Crucial CAS 2

Did the test myself and came up with a mark of 2480 on default settings....

Win XP Home
Pent III 750
256 MB Dram
GeForce 2 DDR

Looks like thats average for my sytem spec...:mad:

WooHoo! Got 10790 score last night. How you may ask from my previous scores? Simple. My windows finally bombed out on me and I was forced to reformat. I DLed the latest drivers and had a fresh install of them. And wala, gave me a score to be proud off. Only thing that made me mad was that I couldn't find ACPI in BIOS to turn it off before I installed windows. I looked under chip donfig and power management. Oh well, I'm happy.

If my MX400 PCI card w/a 500celery & SDRAM can do 1520's on 3DMark 2001

Very impressive m8 :cool:

Our rubbish PC:
K6/3 - 450mhz
Kyro2 32mb
256mb PC100

Can only get 675, after tweaking :(

Back