Question: How do I lockdown Internet access from my children?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need to be able to lock out my children from Internet usage without my supervision. I want them to be able use all other functions. I also want to remove 'Admin' authority from them so they won't try to change my password for my login and use my id instead. I am not a Windows XP guru as you can see, so any help would great!!

Mambo

Well the simple answer is to create a "limited" user account for them. You don't really need one account each. Just create one account they can all use. The of course change your own account's password, and leave theirs open.
The other thing to remember is that, if you were to go into Safe Mode, the "real" administrator account is selectable, and that account is often not password protected because you don't see it in Normal Mode. So make sure the "Administor" account has a password, and your account with admin privileges has a password. Then create one limited account that they can use.

Once you've done that, you can use your admin powers to turn off Internet access for the limited account. I don't know exactly that procedure so maybe someone else can help there.

Other than that, set your account to require your password when it comes out of screensave. To do that, right-click the desktop and select properties. Then click the "Screen Saver" tab and put a check in "On resume, display Welcome screen." And set your screen saver to a low number. And if you are gonig to be away for some time, be sure to actually "log off" your account, so it doesn't eat the system resources while they play or whatever.

I think the process to block Internet access is pretty simple, i just don't know offhand. A file you run or a registry edit. Not sure but I can find out if you want.

Theres a start.
-V

Thanks

If they already have an account, I should be able to limit it there correct? I should be able to change there account to a non-admin account??
Mambo

Oops!! I forgot to respond to the last part of the message. If you can find out a way please send it to me.
Thanks again,
Mambo

1) create a limited account
2) log in to an account with adminstrative rights (be sure it has a password!)
(you can find out in accounts[control panel])
3) Start>Control Panel~Switch to "Classic View">Network Connections>Right Click and select Disable with every connection
4) Log out, Log in to limited account
5) No internet, and no privilages to change it :grinthumb
its free, and no 3rd party program to run.

Follow-up Question

If an account already exists, can't I just change it to 'Limited' ? By the way, thanks for your help. This forum has been great. There is so much information and the community actually responds to the rest of the community.

yes and no
No-if it is the only administrator account (besides the built-in one)

your welcome and glad to hear the forum is helpful

:grinthumb

One way that blocks only specified applications is to edit their security properties:

ie_deny.png

Just select users and permissions for them and you're done. You need to know which browser they're using though.

You could also get a program like Net Nanny that will monitor and restirct access to certain places. If you are worried, that might be the best solution.

I haven't seen an account being changed from Admin to Limited before. But one way that might be easy is to go ahead and create a new limited account, and then use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" to backup the user info from the admin account. And then import that into the Limited account. If it works, you can then delete the Admin account.

If that works, it will transfer their documents, color scheme, desktop icons, background picture etc... So the new account will look like the old account.

Mambo said:
Hello, I need to be able to lock out my children from Internet usage without my supervision. I want them to be able use all other functions. I also want to remove 'Admin' authority from them so they won't try to change my password for my login and use my id instead. I am not a Windows XP guru as you can see, so any help would great!!

Mambo
Go here, download a free 3_users proxy server, it is flexible as well as powerful, and easy to use.

Install it and do exactly whatever you intended to do with internet usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back