Question On Computers In General

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXCellR8

I just would like some input on something real quick. Does restarting the OS and resetting the CMOS quite frequently degrade a system's overall health over time? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've lost track of how many times I've rebooted and cleared CMOS. I just want to know if I'm causing any real damage by doing so. Thanks!

Clearing your cmos just sets the bios to it`s default settings and won`t harm anything, although you may need to manually reset some bios settings in order for your system to run at it`s optimal performance.

If by rebooting you mean initiating a proper shutdown and restart etc, then again, that shouldn`t harm anything.

Why do you find it necessary to keep resetting the cmos and how often do you reboot your system?

Regards Howard :)

Well it's not that I want to it's because I'm dealing with a very unstable system right now. I just cannot get my machine to function properly lately and have had to restart and clear the CMOS quite frequently. You see I'm not doing on purpose the system forces me to do so. Thanks for you input! Cheers!

Well, I',m experiencing application crashes, freeze-ups and hard resets. I believe that my RAM may be to blame for this but I also am wondering about my new video card as well. I've been fiddling around with BIOS settings (Abit Softmenu III) for a while but cannot seem to find a good setup. Here are my system's specs if that helps:

AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ (~2.4Ghz)
Abit NF7-S 2.0 Dual Channel DDR400 nForce2 mobo
2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 PC3200 RAM (3-3-3-8)
XFX GeForce 7950GT (AGP512MB) w/ Zalman vf900 cooler
ULTRA X-Connect 550w modular PSU
WD Caviar 160GB EIDE HDD
WD Caviar 320GB EIDE HDD

I've also just reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition. I am using the latest drivers for all of my equipment and have flashed my mobo BIOS to the latest version.

If you suspect you ram, I suggest running Memtest86+ as per the instructions HERE.

You might also want to take a look at this thread HERE.

If none of the above helps to identify the culprit, please post 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps.

Regards Howard :)

I haven't had any real problems lately since the last time I configured my BIOS settings. I'll wait and see where these changes take me. Thanks for the support and I will make sure to read those articles if I run into any additional issues. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back