question on dual connections to a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3051M

Hi, i was just wondering if there would be any sort of advantages in hooking up say, a laptop with its wifi plus its ethernet to a router.. I'm guessing it won't do much for internet speeds but what about through network transfers? ie copying a movie from another pc..

Security would be better... file transfers would be better... but you better be sure you know what you are doing... most routers have very good manuals, but sometimes they are difficult to understand due to the nomenclature.

Buffalo wireless routers have one button setup or you can do it manually to me they're the easy to setup either way...

nerr... i meant that if you connect a pc/laptop to a router both wirelessly and wired at the same time would you experience any noticeable differences in terms of transfer speeds between another networked device and possibly the modem the router's hooked to.....

Select one or the other, but not both, for your connection.
You will experience a number of differences, but the possible answers are too complex to post here.
Your wireless will not be faster than the cable modem. The rest will depend on equipment and computer we cannot see here.
In general, your fastest connection will be between the laptop and the cable modem on a short cable. Each additional connection in the chain will slow things down a bit.

although I agree with raybay, I would like to add one thing, wired will always be faster than wireless.

To make all of this to work correctly and to get the fastest speeds...

1. Coax Cable Modem
2. Wired Router
3. Wired 5,8,16,24 Switch with 1-2MB Buffer
4. Wireless Router/Access Point AP would be used (1st floor)
5 Wireless Router/Access Point AP would be use (2nd floor)
6. Wireless Bridge (anywhere you want to make a device wireless)

I've tested the above my ISP just increase my speed from 15MB to 30MB range avg speed is 28MB download and 8MB upload rated..

Mix bag of wired desktops, wireless desktop, wireless laptops you name it. LAN is quick the WAN is very fast. I do a lot of remote control here even on my wireless laptop the two AP are set to 100% power and are placed at corner window area. Coverage is excellent. I also stream audio and video wireless and wired to media boxes connected to the TV over network. I can download huge files watch huge video files still able to do things with out network lag.

If done right anyone can do it...

As to say wired is faster than wireless well almost equal but I still I use to use a Wired Router which is very quick to control the house. I did try it with the Wireless Router/Access Points you really can't download quick if I use as Access Point then I can.

N3051M said:
nerr... i meant that if you connect a pc/laptop to a router both wirelessly and wired at the same time would you ...
this concept is implemented in the ATM(Asynch Transfer Mode) protocol and
requires a special software setup. You've got the right idea, but prior posts
are giving you GOOD ADVISE :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back