Question on how to network 2 computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

hi i was wondering how to network 2 computers but no router, i was thinking using the desktop as a server and the laptop connecting to it if possible wirelessly, the laptop has a wifi card installed already do i just need one for the desktop? how would i set it up? thanks

Do a wired connection if both PCs have NICs

If both computers have NICs, buy a crossover cable and connect them directly. I do not know if you can wirelessly connect two PCs without a wireless router, but I doubt it.

You can hook up 2 computers wirelessly using what is called an ad-hoc system. This way you would be able to connect between the 2 as long as you are in the same workgroup. You'll just need to get a wireless card for your desktop. Then go to network connections and choose the wireless card. Once in there, setup your network.

oh okay so once i get the wireless card for my desktop will it be hard to configure? can i send files between the two too? also share internet? thanks

okay i got the wirless NIC for my desktop, they see eachother and it says the laptop and desktop are connected (both running xp sp2) i can see the shared folder on the laptop but i can't access it and i was wondering how to share internet connections, i tried enabling share internet connection but is there anything else i could do? thanks

I've never seen it done using wireless, I've only seen it using a crossover cable between 2 systems. That doesn't mean it's not possible, I've just never seen it.

anyone else? i see the computers connecting through peer to peer mode but thats it...it wont send/receieve information between them

Setting Gateway

To find Gateway
On machine with Internet connection in Run type "cmd /k ipconfig /all" (without quotes)
Default Gateway . . . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

On the second machine
Log on as Administrator
Start | connect to | Show all connections
right click Local Area Connection and select Properties
select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
General Tab click Advanced
on IP Settings tab add new gateway
tick automatic metric
OK out

If you have a wireless network you'll right clickNetwork Bridge Connected instead of Local Area Connection.

Hope this helps.

Boots

Well it depends on how your setup is.
your using a crossover cable right...
So the default gateway is 192.168.0.1 Your main computer should have this IP as well. this is the setup i have and it works alright i guess but im buying myself a router in 12days.

hm i changed the gateway to the same as the desktop (server) but the wireless connection says connected but thats it, it wont share connections or anything...any other ideas?

Start | Run type "cmd /k ping ***" (without quotes)

Instead of *** put either the computer name or its IP address. Try the name if that does not work try the IP.

Boots

Your firewall may have been blocking the pings.

Have we set the IPs for both machines?
When you Run type "cmd /k ipconfig /all" (without quotes)
What IP addresses and subnet mask.

Boots

thanks everyone for the help but i got a router instead everything works great, the shared files show up on both computers too guess peer-to-peer was just too complicated for me...i was wondering though how do you get to the setup wizard? i got the dlink wireless router, it's the DI-524 it says enter 192.168.0.1 in internet explorer but i keep getting a gateway timeout...any ideas? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back