Question on Partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just an amateur, so pls go easy on me.

My computer is now installed with windows 2000. I would like to "format the drive" and reinstall windows, because my computer has been showing some quirky behaviours. I try to "boot from CD", and then I was asked in which partition I want the windows to be installed on. (My computer has two partitions.)

If I don't want the old windows (and data) anymore, should I choose to "delete" the NTFS partition first? (It is the partition where my current windows is installed on.) If I delete it, would it affect the DOS, BIOS etc. that are preinstalled in the computer?

Go ahead and delete the partition, it will not affect anything you mentioned. All generic temp drivers are installed when you boot from the CD (that is what you wait forever for). You might as well make partitions for everything while you are in there. Like myself, for instance, I have Windows, Applications, Games, Personal Files, and Page File partitions. Some prefer to have it all on one big one; however, most believe that separate partitions will increase the performance and data access time. If you don't want to get into all that, just make a separate page file partition and leave it at that. Hope windows installs ok for you :grinthumb .

Edit: spelling mistake

BTW You really don't have to Delete the Partitons if they are the size you want.
You can just Format them and reload.

Once you 'delete' the partitions you will have 'unpartitioned space'. Your windows setup will ask you if you want to create a partition, then it will ask you something about the size. You will have to choose a size (it will tell you what is the min and max).
You might be best off not deleting that and just letting windows format and then install during the setup.
What I'd really suggest is read Phantasm66s post on Ratified Partitioning Stratigies. Then set up partitions based on what you think will suit you best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back