Question regarding RAID 0 (and possible fried mobo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q: Does anybody have sufficient experience with RAID arrays to know how raid controllers handle hard drives that have already been in raid configuration before?

Explanation of problem:

I had been running an Asus A7V333 mobo with an onboard raid controller (a Promise 20276 I believe) with two 60ish GB hard drives in RAID 0 ... that is, until my video card crapped out, shortly followed thereafter by my mobo. I still haven't gotten around to troubleshooting which is actually the problem, but I'm going to more than likely replace both. My main objective is getting the data off the hard drives, if at all possible.

The main concern is inadvertently erasing the current array while attempting to access it with a different raid controller. Would I have to use the same model raid controller as I used to set up the array?

I have considered getting the same mobo and trying to set it up the way it was before, but 1) I doubt they still make it and 2) I don't really want to use RAID anymore.

My second choice of action is to get a different mobo, and a pci raid controller to trying getting to the data. So to re-state my question: does anybody have sufficient experience with RAID arrays to know how raid controllers handle hard drives that have already been in raid configuration before? Thanks in advance for any help that is given! Please let me know if further clarification is needed ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back