Quick question:CPU fan wrong way round

Status
Not open for further replies.

saiorse44

Hi all.

When building my computer (not the specs shown in sig) last November i bought this fan the Zalman CNPS9500 AM2 to use with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Touch-wood it has worked lovely ever since.

But re-reading the manual for the fan it appears that i have mounted it facing the wrong way. It is currently blowing air towards the front of the system instead of out the back.

I have had a new PC case delivered today so while i was transferring all the parts into the new one i thought that i would have a go at unclipping the bracket and swiveling the fan around. My question is: is it OK to just twist the fan around on its current thermal compound and will it affect the effectiveness of it if I do?

Many Thanks,
Rob

'is it OK to just twist the fan around on its current thermal compound' - NO

'will it affect the effectiveness of it if I do?' - YES

edit: this is the Dirty Harry type question, ie, 'Do you feel lucky?'

Remove the heatsink, clean it and the cpu of old paste, reapply paste and reattach as appropriate.

What else would I recommend unless it were to leave well enough alone if temps look good presently?

:)

OK, thanks. I'll see what the temps are like in the new case and if they are higher ill think about replacing the thermal coumpound.

Many Thanks :)
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back