Quick question: Failure to turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjl

AFter I moved my computer (house to house), it "won't turn on."

By this, I mean, pushing the power button does absolutely nothing (no fans, so faint beeping, no anything). The first time it happened, I thought maybe the power switch was busted, so I switched the Reset and Power connectors from the case to the mobo, but that did nothing. After maybe 10 minutes of randomly pushing things, eventually the computer magically started up. After it was up I tested it by shutting it down and then pressing the power button, and it turned on just fine. (i.e. once it was up I could turn it on and off again without any problems)

However, since then, every time my power goes out or I turn the machine off for some reason (vacation, etc.) and I have to restart the machine, it never turns on for the first 10-15 minutes, but eventually magically decides to turn on.

This last time, though, I seem to be unable to get it restarted at all, so my machine is completely dead.

So the quick question (with the long description ;) ) is: which piece of my machine is likely busted and in need of replacement? The power supply or the mobo? Or something else? I have ruled out the power switches, as swapping it with the reset button does nothing, and the outlet is working, as I have a second machine plugged in which works fine.

Also, once the machine is up and running, it runs perfectly fine for days, weeks, months at a time.

Thanks!

No, not emachine. It's an ASUS mobo (I forget which, but I could dig it up) and an Antec Truepower power supply. I'm guessing it doesn't matter - the machine worked just fine for about a year, and then starting not turning on, so one of the various components is just fritzing out, I think.

Given the symptom of flaky turning-on, does that sound like a power supply or a mobo malfunction?

Thanks!

From the fact it's not an Emachine and also that it has been moved, it's possible that it could just be a bad connection!!!!

Disconnect the power completely, remove the side panel, grab hold of a bare metal part of the case for a few seconds (to ground yourself out to avoid a static discharge) then remove and refit all cards and ram and see if that helps!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back