Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.
TimeParadoX said:
It has a floppy disk but do I need that to install the mobo or is it like a secondary installer just incase the CD doesnt work?
the floppy disk contains SATA drivers which may need to be installed during the operating system install if your using a pre-SP2 version of XP. (obviously that only applies if you're using a SATA HDD ;))

if you're OS is an SP2 version (or if you're not planning to reformat/reinstall the OS), then you won't need to use the floppy at all

cheers :wave:

Now I understand :)

KingCody is correct. If you're gonna install Windows XP SP2, then that floppy shouldn't be needed at all, even with that SATA drive.

ALWAYS include a floppy in any system. Contrary to popular belief, floppies are still required for rudimentary upgrades like BIOS flashing, etc... Yes, some systems are able to use CD rom only, but since all BIOSes and modern chipsets contain internal code dating back to the 8088 systems there are some functions that can only be done on floppy.
It's a cheap $10 and wise investment - even if you hardly ever use it.

I've been without a floppy drive for more than 4 months, and I don't need it. But it may be useful....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back