Quick RAM Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

Hey Everybody,

My Question is as follows:

I have a custom build system that takes pc3400 ram and the question is can I use pc3200 with it as well?

Thank you very much Everybody

Thank you very much, if install the ram and it isnt the right type will it do any damage?

Ok I tried it and it does work correctly and seems to have no issues. It just came up it had more ram and I hit enter nd its really faster and it shows the increase and I have another question would pc2700 work in it as well? I tihnk its ddr not drr2

Hmmm

Interesting, where did you see that your computer takes PC3400 ? I never knew PC3400 existed... It is certainly not a standard.... Anything over PC3200 (DDR 400) went like this PC3500 (DDR 433) PC3700 (DDR 466)
PC4000 (DDR 500) PC4200 (DDR 533) and so on... And on a DDR1 system anything over PC3200 was dependent on a FSB increase.... Meaning anything rated over PC3200 was overclocking memory.....In theory, the faster speeds your memory could support, the more you could raise your FSB..... If you slapped PC4200 (DDR 533) in your machine it would still boot up as PC3200 (DDR 400) meaning if you wanted to get it to Run at 533 mhz you would have to increase your bus speed 133 mhz...Although certain nForec4 boards let you run your memory at its rated speed without a FSB increase...

Double check where you got the information from about your memory because I beleive it is inaccurate.

If anything check your bios and it will tell you what speed of memory you are running for sure.

Or download CPUz and tell us what it says.

Put it this way, if there was such a thing as PC3400 it would be classified as DD4 416.6 lol 416.6mhz is a very odd number... :D I beleive you may have PC3500 or just PC3200

And to answer your last post, no it will not damage it, it will just make your other memory run at PC2700 Speeds....

Umm..no. PC3400 RAM does exist but yes, it is OC'd RAM, nothing more.
@Nick, if you install slow and fast memory together, both memory modules will run at the slower speed in order to give optimum performance.

Interesting

PC3400 must have been some early day stuff eh ? Not very long lived ?

Did it really run at 416.6 mhz ? Well 208.3 ?????

Yeah it was mainly meant for gamers. Kingston sold a couple of HyperX modules with that frequency back in the day if I remember correctly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back