Quick router/wireless question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed a Belkin router so my laptop could get online. After installation it worked great--last night and then this morning. Now, it recognizes the network for Belkin, but it won't connect. What could be the cause of this? I can see and connect to other networks, but not the one down the hall. I can look but not touch.

Thanks

Hello and welcome to Techspot

Try the following:

Is the router password enabled?

My router has trouble some times, and all it needs is to be switched off for 30 seconds, then turned on

Try resetting to factory default settings, that may make a difference?

What do you mean by you can look but not touch?

Regards Computergekk564 :wave:

By look and not touch, I just meant that i can see my home network, it simply wouldn't connect. Which is frustrating because it worked last night and this morning.

I tried restarting the cable modem and the router, no luck.

When I unplug the router, my wired desktop works. When I plug the router in, it does not. And this is without removing any cords/wires, etc. The internet is not getting through my router, even though nothing has been changed since last evening.

sounds like you've got it wired wrong
Code:
modem --- router -- devices 
      --- your pc via usb
wired right
Code:
modem --- router -- all devices (wired or wireless)
The modems with Ethernet and USB connections are either/or but not both

Update the firmware for that router and goto www.belkin.com, if there isn't an update and you just got this router? Take it back and get another brand. I had the Belkin you have described and I had the same problem when I did was replace it for another brand.

jobeard said:
sounds like you've got it wired wrong
Code:
modem --- router -- devices 
      --- your pc via usb
wired right
Code:
modem --- router -- all devices (wired or wireless)
The modems with Ethernet and USB connections are either/or but not both

So it could be something as simple as the fact that the modem has a USB running to the wired computer and an ethernet that runs to the router? Basically everything is conflicting with each other? Simply removing the USB should do the trick, right?

I'm trying to connect my Linksys router to my Westell 6100 verzion dsl modem. I received a message stating "limited or no conection". My internet modem is working fine, it's just not working with my router. Could this be an easy fix or should I purchase a verzion router? NEED HELP!!!!!!

emartin said:
I'm trying to connect my Linksys router to my Westell 6100 verzion dsl modem. I received a message stating "limited or no conection". My internet modem is working fine, it's just not working with my router. Could this be an easy fix or should I purchase a verzion router? NEED HELP!!!!!!

I know what this is.

You're comp Ethernet card is using it's default IP address instead of being assigned one. That causes it to issue a warning. In reality, it's meaningless as it still works fine.

Here's how you resolve the warning. Double-click on the Local Area Network icon to open the status window. Then click on the warning message. Search for where it lists what the IP address, Subnet mask & Gateway address are. Then go back to the Local Area Network icon, right-click and select Properties. Then highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Click on Properties. Select Use the following IP address and then enter the default info you have from earlier. Now the warning should disappear. You should also notice that the comp starts up faster. It's because the network card is no longer waiting to be assigned an IP address as it already has a static one you gave it.

almost; just select DHCP for both IP and DNS addresses. Your PC will then
respond to ANY router to which it is attached :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back