Quick X800 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaf

howdo. i have a mobo with an integrated geforce 4mx 440 that uses 128mb of system ram. Since it is xmas soon i was thinking of getting an x800 pro as my main present. for £300 is it worth it to buy one? Will i see a dramatic quality and speed increase when playing games? Cheers for ne views on whether i should upgrade or not. Also will an x800 pro run fine on an athlon xp 2700+ (2.16GHz)? (Btw i am more bothered about quality than speed, but would still like to have a decent fps rate).

Seez ya

Firstly any modern graphics card (ATi Radeon 9600xt, 9800pro, x800pro, x800xt, or NVIDIA Geforce FX5900XT, 6800, 6800GT, 6800Ultra) will offer a massive improvement on an onboard geforce 4mx. A x800pro may be over the top for your needs, it all depends on what games you want to play, and the resolution you want to play at e.g. 1024x768. Also if you are seriously considering an x800pro, I would take a good look at the NVIDIA 6800GT, as it is slightly quicker at most games (particularly Doom 3), in most cases can be overclocked to a 6800 Ultra, and you can probably find one cheaper than a x800pro.

Of course there is also the option of waiting a couple of months to see what happens with PCI Express Graphics cards (on the Athlon 64 platform) and the possibility of some mid range cards NV 6600GT and ATi X700XT becoming available for AGP rather than just PCI Express.

I have looked at benchmarks comparing the x800 pro and 6800gt. from the benchmarks it seems the 6800gt performs better in hi-res benchmarks and it does have pixel shader 3, but i dont really think ps3 is in much use yet. Also the x800 pro has a 475MHz with 12 pixel pipelines engine while the 6800gt only has 350MHz engine, yet it has 16 pixel pipelines. This seems quite a big leap, will it make a great difference in performance? Why has the 6800gt got more pixel pipelines when its got a lower core speed? Oh, i can't decide its too hard. If ne one has got a 6800gt or x800 pro, i would like to hear your opinions on what you think fo your card. Also would it be better to get an nVidia 6800gt if i have an nVidia nForce 2 chipset on the mobo.

Cheers

You should re-read D8's post again.
Cards at this level offer very little visible difference to the naked eye.
If you notice cards function better for some games better than others, read the tests for practicality more so than technical specs.
Find out which cards work with least problems on the Mb you have and with the Games you play.
Then go for it.
P.S. I thought ATI has just released some of the X series in AGP.

Jaf said:
but i dont really think ps3 is in much use yet. Also the x800 pro has a 475MHz with 12 pixel pipelines engine while the 6800gt only has 350MHz engine, yet it has 16 pixel pipelines. This seems quite a big leap, will it make a great difference in performance? Why has the 6800gt got more pixel pipelines when its got a lower core speed.

Pixel Shader may not of much use yet, but you can bet that all of the next generation of graphics cards will feature it as standard whether ATi or NVIDIA.
You cannot directly compare clock speeds and number of pipelines between ATi and NV graphics cards, as they work using different architectures (like comparing AthlonXP & P4 for instance)

Jaf said:
Also would it be better to get an nVidia 6800gt if i have an nVidia nForce 2 chipset on the mobo.

It should not matter either way, I have an NForce 2 and use an ATi card.

P.S. I thought ATI has just released some of the X series in AGP.

The X700 series has only been released as PCI Express so far, but looks like it will be a good mid range card for around £120.

ATI has X800 and X600 AGP's listed on their online store.Then ,they state they are out of Stock.
HMMMMMMMM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back