Quickie network question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spike

networking 2 xp pro machines.

Installed new NIC in both (Sitecom LN-020), and connected using shop bought crossover cable between the two.

both cards read as successfully installed, both NIC's have only one LED marked "LNK/ACT"

Niether card's led lights up, both machines recognise the card, but claim that a network connection is unplugged. At the moment I'm gravitating towards the cable being a problem, but I won't know untill tomorrow.

In the meantime I'm hoping people could list off some possibilities for me as to what the problem could be.

Thatnks...

1. Bad cable
2. Bad NIC(s)
3. Bad ethernet link settings

Try setting the ethernet link speed/duplex manually in Device Manager on both machines. Replace cable. Replace NIC(s).

When you hold the plugs on both ends of that cable together, with the same side up, you can see the coloured wires in the plugs. If both are the same (from left to right) you have a STRAIGHT cable, if they differ, it is a CROSSOVER.

Also, have a look here: Simple Networking of 2 PCs

I tried the cable back at home (I was doing it for a friend) in my own netwrok, and it didn't work - at all.

Looking at the cable, it's a straight. It was obviously mis-labled at the shop (Maplins no less!).

Thanks for the suggestions though. When I try a new cable, if I still have a problem, I know where to look now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back